2 | Call Me Maybe

Basma

Yes, I'm the famous Basma El-Nafaty everyone knows.

I'm your go-to-girl for parties, weddings especially, out-of-this-world interior decor and perfect mediation as I am also a renowned marriage counselor.

Typically, a master of none but a jack of all the trades. I got my license to counsel after a few months of graduating from Westminster University. I'd undergone a three year online course for psychology and French while I was training to become a certified counselor.

In a way, I could say my life has finally stabilized.

My story is one I'd like to tag as impaired. Perfect childhood, flawless adulthood till I got married to the self acclaimed neurosurgeon Dr. Jameel Rufai.

Like every other marriage, the beginning was cotton-candy sweet until I found out his secret.

He was a cultist!

For crying out loud I should've seen it with the flashy cars and unending shopping sprees with my friends when he never spoke of his job or how he went about his finances when we all knew he was just a simple doctor that headed the pedeatric ward in a hospital he later bought.

As if that wasn't weird too.

My parents, especially my mother thought it was a good idea to get me married to a very wealthy man till he murdered them.

So basically, they ignored all the red flags despite how obvious it was.

I'd like to think they deserved what he did to them. I may sound insensitive but I'm the most caring and sympathetic person you'll ever meet.

They had it coming when they gave their daughter's hand in marriage to a man they met at a random seminar.

The most despicable part about this whole story was that they forced me to get married at just eighteen when I should've been preparing to enter my second year of university.

I'm not saying marriage is bad at that age because I was matured enough but what happens when it turns to bondage without shackles? Just non-existent chains that can't be cut loose because your parents have chosen not to see it.

Afaf and Sa'adatu were not in the country as of that time so I was left unprotected. It was just a few weeks after my parents death they were contacted. I still don't know why their numbers were unreachable. I knew that they'd have killed him if not for the police that was handling the case.

Jameel was the apple of my eye. Handsome, kind hearted and calm. At 24, he couldn't have been in a better place in life. He had the most beautiful set of eyes and scared me with his kindness because you could take him for granted because he was just the perfect definition of a people-pleaser.

Honestly, I never loved him but I respected him enough to show compassion and be exceptionally loyal but one can only take so much...

Before our marriage he promised me so many things he was yet to fulfill. He was the reason I gave up my education yet he turned me to nothing but a housewife who wasn't even allowed to run her own business just because he was already 'providing'.

All I ever got was monthly trips to different countries and regular pampering for my skin at spa's. That was also for his benefit. He enjoyed touching me when my body felt like freshly baked cake.

To hell with him and his money. My parents were one of the richest people in Africa but they were too greedy. They had a lot of money but a lot wasn't ever going to be enough. At times I wonder what they used all the money to do, including the excess when they weren't into philanthropic activities.