7 | The Terminator

Bashir

Today was fun, ok not so fun because I almost got killed but I narrowly escaped with bruises and a warning that'd left me timorous.

I'm glad Basma cancelled our meeting on Saturday. I wanted to cancel too but she beat me to it and I couldn't be happier because I didn't want it to seem rude cancelling first.

I was still wondering what I'd have told her.

We went to a fun fair at Maitama amusement park with a friend of hers;  Amina.

I took them there and paid for all the rides they'd rode and the food they ate. Later on, Rasheed; a friend from work arrived and it was like a double date.

From there, we went to the cinema to watch a movie before Rasheed offered to take Amina home and Basma followed me home in her car.

She didn't come in even after much lobbying.

That's understandable, she has manners.

I gave her a gift. It was a new phone and perfume. She was strongly affected, favourably because the phone was the latest iPhone now.

It really wasn't a pain in the neck to acquire such gifts now because my standard of living had evolved to it's pique with no point of depression.

She left not long ago so I decided to visit Salwa my sixth but unofficial girlfriend. I barely visited her so we were still at a getting-to-know-each other point.

*Peep peep*

The gate man was already at the gate waiting for me to arrive. He knew this was my usual time to arrive, whenever her parents travelled.

It became like a repeated cycle when I realized they travelled twice a month to Sokoto so I'd visit her when I was less busy with work.

I whined down my window to give the old man his monthly wage as he ran to go and call Salwa inside.

She was the only child, so there was no one to snitch on the damsel. Her parents were strict so I didn't know how she managed to live such a raunchy life.

I was currently the only one she hasn't slept with—I knew because she had a big mouth—and I'd made it clear that I wasn't interested.

"Baby yau kai ne a gidan nan?" Baby is it you in this house today? She asked once she'd opened the door and sat inside the car.

"In the flesh and blood." I laughed.

"How have you been?"

"I've missed you." I said shyly.

"I've missed you too." She blushed.

Her phone rang. As she looked at me, I was graced with a petrified look.

"What's wrong?"

"My dad. Shhh." She motioned for me to be quiet with her henna-ed finger as she answered the call.

"Barka da yammaci daddy." She greeted, wiping sweat from her face.

She put it on speaker because her hands were shaking so much then she dropped it on her laps.

"We're coming home now. We missed our flight."

"Da-da-daddy now?"

"Yes. Tell Hamisu to wash my other car because I'm going to Uncle Halliru's house immediately I come back."

"O-o-k Daddy." She replied, stuttering.

"Yes, infact we're at the gate. Tell him to come and open it now."