18 | P for Problem or Police?

Bilal

"Daddy please can you take me to Wonderland today?" Kauthar asked, playfully dragging the sleeves of my pyjama shirt.

"I wish I could but it's a week day and I have some work to catch up with at the office." I lied, trying to dissuade her from wanting to visit the amusement park.

The truth was that I had to visit the police station with Baba Imran for questioning before I can be calm enough to continue with my daily activities as well as getting Kauthar to enjoy her holiday here.

I poured her favorite cereal, Coco Pops, into a bowl, pour some milk and sugar before handing it to her expectant hands with a smile.

She stirs slowly, walking back to the living room to wait for me. I pick up a piece of toast and my almost cold tea and head to the living room to join her.

We munch quietly on our breakfasts as the news anchor of Channels News, Chamberlain Usoh talks about the kidnapping of Basma El-Nafaty and I listen in on the sentences coming out of his mouth word for word despite it feeding on my anxiety.

He said holding up a cover of The Sun newspaper, "Good morning everyone and welcome back to sunrise daily with your host Chamberlain Usoh and my co-host Ayotunde Balogun. On the front page today, is the story of Basma El-Nafaty who was kidnapped weeks ago without a trace and the nation has been left with worry for her family is in extreme worry."

Ayotunde takes over from there and continues with, "It's been weeks of tears and unfruitful searches for the family and though, they claim it is billionaire playboy Jameel Rufai, they haven't brought evidence to back it up. It is a known fact that he was her ex-husband and without a doubt, had a sour break-up with her—this was something we found out recently as well. The sisters say, they have spoken to her and that she has testified that it is her ex-husband and they say that he spoke to them before hanging up the last time they spoke to her. The family is currently still searching and hoping for her return. I pray the family is able to find her as soon as possible."

I change the channel as soon as he's done speaking to Disney channel and hand the remote control over to Kauthar.

She stood up from her place beside me to hug me, asking, "Daddy why do you look sad?"

"I'm not sad. I'm just tired." I lie but she isn't convinced.

"I don't think so but I know you won't tell me." She huffed.

I took my cup and her bowl back to the kitchen for a rinse before going upstairs to take a bath. Before I return, she also goes up to take a shower and I see her watching tv in a brand new, clean set of clothes.

"Kauthar get ready, we're going to uncle Hamza's house now." I fish for the car keys in my pocket before going to turn off the socket of the tv, "Where's is your veil too? Go and get it quickly, ok?"

She gets up quickly with a smile and rushes to bring it. Kauthar returns with it wrapped around her tiny head perfectly and we go out of the house hand in hand to the car.

I press the  car key and the doors unlock themselves. She pulls her door and I do the same for mine and we sit inside at the same time before I lock the doors and start the engine.

Thirty minutes later...

Gates of the house are being opened by the gateman so I start to tap Kauthar's shoulder. I drive in further and park the car beside Hamza's famous Range Rover Vogue.

We exit the car and head into the house where stop to knock at the main door.

Aaliyah opens the door with a gloomy face that switches to a happier one the moment her eyes land on us.