20 | Mindful Regret

Bilal

"What do you mean by you can't find Layla and Bushra?" I yelled, perplexed.

"I don't know what happened." Rukayyah whimpered.

"How do you not know what happened?! You're their mother!"

"The driver dropped them off at school and returned as usual to take me to work then all of a sudden their teachers each send individual messages telling me to come and take my children that some rebels have raided the school and have already killed some teachers."

"I don't understand."

"The bandits have kidnapped them!" She cries.

"I'll get on the next flight there and I'll come to take you all. I'll involve the Nigerian embassy and see how they'll help us."

"Thank you for everything."

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for you or my kids."

"When will you get here?"

"As soon as I can."

"Please get here as soon as possible. I'm scared. My parents are nowhere to be found and I'm alone...." She pauses, "The driver is gone!"

"Where are you now?"

She remains silent.

"Where are you Bilan?"

"That's not important now. Just try and get to us with help."

"I will not repeat myself again. Where are you?"

"I'm at...."

"Why?!"

Her silence already made it clear that she was indeed with Tadalesh.

"He has enough power to protect me before you get here."

"I don't care what he can do for you. Leave that place now!"

"But I can't. I can die out there."

"I don't care! Get away from him if you still want to be married by tomorrow."

I hear a voice in the background asking her if she's alright and I know it's him even if she doesn't answer.

I refuse to hang up, waiting for her to give an answer.

"Ok, I'll leave!"

I hang up, breathing rapidly not realizing when droplets of tears start to stain my blue Kaftan and the affected spots are warm.

I wipe my eyes and get on my laptop to book a flight to get all my children out of that country. If she decided to stay with him I'd be fine with it. At this point, I knew I was lying to myself but I was too angry to care.

How dare she go back to the same man that almost caused us to get a divorce? Now I'm convinced a part of her still loves him.

When she didn't reply that night I knew I was in trouble but for the sake of our love I forgave her, gave her the benefit of doubt to make myself feel better after all the assurance she gave me.

When men now come up to say women are evil they'd be reprimanded and accused of misogyny.

It was late in the night but I couldn't care less. I'd already texted Baba Imran to inform him of my departure the following morning. Kauthar was asleep so I wasn't bothered about leaving her all alone.

I rose up from my bed and snatched the keys from the dresser beside my bed. The dresser that was once covered with perfume that was owned by a woman that stole my heart, poked holes in them and was still showing me that she was trying to heal it.