Chapter 9 : An Enchanted Morning

I woke up to Alina pawing at my side, "What, what is it?"

I got up and looked around, but everything seemed most ordinary. I watched her meow and then run to the window sill, motioning at the pane.

"Okay, I'm coming."

I looked out to see dementors, and in the distance, someone in black on a broom.

"Curious."

I felt a my amulet cool, and I felt safe for the time being.

"Alina, my classes don't start until 11 today, at potions, do you mind helping me?"

She meowed.

I walked to my desk and from a small jewelry box, produced the small necklace for Harry. I grabbed my wand, and my grimoire.

"I call upon thee, protectors of nature, to bless this amulet for those in danger," I began circulating my wand, "Accio protecta."

The ring vibrated on the desk, and slowly lifted itself, in a light purple aura.

After a moment or two, it settled itself. I placed it in a bag, careful to not place my hands on it. I checked the time, and saw it was not yet seven a.m.. Breakfast wouldn't start for another half hour.

I flipped to my grimoire and found my transfiguration section. I read through the animagus instructions once again, but I knew them by heart.

"You know, Alina, I would get in trouble if someone found out I was an animagus... but at the same time, practice is important..." She looked at me, with a blank expression, "And I didn't go through that annoying animagus training when I was 10 to just not use it... I had to have a mandrake leaf in my mouth for a month! It tasted horrid as well."

With that bit of convincing, I decided I would change just for a moment. I grounded myself, and focused.

Slowly, I felt it happen. It's a strange sensation. It doesn't hurt, anymore, it only hurts the first few times, but you can feel your bones and skin conform to a new (and in my case, smaller) being.

But when I opened my eyes, my perspective had shifted to one about a two feet away from the floor. I flapped my way to my mirror and observed myself. The whiteness of my feathers was a true downside, it was incredibly noticeable.

With that, I shifted back, satisfied with the little practice I felt I earned.

I also felt as though the odds of people being awake was much greater, so I changed into my school clothes (a white turtleneck, black trousers, a blue sweater, and my robes). I also packed my school bag, and gave Alina a kiss. I decided to visit Lupin.

I quietly left the dorm, and made my way through the castle and to the Defense Against The Dark Arts classroom, and knocked quietly on the door, "Professor?"

"Come in!"

I did such, and saw him reading through books by candle light, "Professor, have you been here all night?"

"All night? I, well it's only- oh, I suppose I have."

"Here," I pulled a vial out of my pocket, "It's a caffeine potion, it should get you through the day."

He smiled, and accepted it.

"I wanted to let you know that I'll be writing to my mother this evening, asking for the necessary ingredients for the spell. I figure it would be best to source them outside of Hogwarts, to avoid suspicion."

"You would be correct, Miss Priest. When do you think you'll have them?"

"My mother has it all in stock, and my owl is fast. Three days, most likely, four at most. But I need more practice with my animagus work, or else I won't be able to properly perform such a spell, even alongside someone as practiced as Ethan."