Chapter Thirty-Two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: SPAZ

I had forgotten. Disgust shadows desire. Another life is never safely envied.
-Robert Wells

The fourth day at the island started out a lot calmer in pretty much all regards, it was three days before Christmas and everyone was starting to feel mellowed out after exerting themselves by acting like crackheads and toddlers for the first few days.

Sadly, the D'Silvetta's didn't have an off switch.

And neither did Fly.

They're the ones who gathered all the people around our age, their siblings and partners and demanded we play soccer together.

From the very first game, we knew that Vivianna and Payton couldn't be together but everyone and their love were on opposite teams, with the twin D'Silvettas as the extra rule. So I wasn't on Jasper's team.

Somewhere along the way it was decided that we were the black jersey's, while the other team was green.

Honestly, used to playing sports around guys who didn't give a fuck about me- -excluding Fly who already knew and saw me at my worst- -when I over heated because the fucking tight black fabric heated me up like crazy I didn't think twice about tugging my jersey off.

And I think about that for a second, just a second when I remember the things I've gone through and the words etched into my skin, before shrugging it off and jogging up next to Fly -who throws me my water bottle.

"You're tan." Flynn notes.

It's a small warning, in case I forgot the white marks that line my body, but I ignore it. Seeing that, he continues to drink.

If I don't care, he doesn't either.

"Think we're going to win?"

On our team, there's me, Nyx and Anadi as strikers. Then there's Aiko, and Lavender as midfields. Vivianna refused to 'be defined' by a spot and runs around the field so she's a wild card, but has scored us points. Nymphadora, Eris and Isaiah are our defense. And Fly is our goalie.

Meanwhile on the other team, there's Atticus and Scar as the strikers. Arabella and Dela as midfields. Both Payton and Axel were wild cards and Axel was getting on my nerves, because he made it so he was always trying to block me. Damien and Jasper were the defense, Cara is the goalie -the girl could jump.

So it's pretty even to me, though we are down two points because Viv decided it was her job to attempt to annoy Fly which only led to an honest conversation.

Scar, knowing her boyfriend's weaknesses, took this opportunity to score.

Shrugging again, I listen to him as he starts to tell me and Nyx about a new game plan.

Nyx is surprisingly competitive.

Both of our attention gets caught at the sounds of crying, our heads whipping over to Jasper. His older sister gets to him first, trying to coax his hands away from his face.

"Jitterbug?" Stepping closer, I gently hold one of his lower arms. "What's wrong?"

"I want...to f-fight." Is all he stutters out, taking a shaky breath.

Sharing awkward eye contact with Nyx, I ask "Do you want a hug." the same moment she asks him why he wants to fight.

Not hesitating, Jasper wraps his arms around me and pulls me to his chest, head bowed against my shoulder as I raise on my toes so he doesn't have to bend over so much.