Prologue - The Art of Gaslighting

Banner by plutointhestars

Most people assume the life of Kudo Ranran had always been smooth sailing. Especially when your exceptionally rich great-grandmother whom she has no idea about, suddenly enters her life.

Having her entire family whisked into a neighbourhood filled with luxury, let alone, by an estranged great grandmother could've been some made-up fairy tale. The dream of every child, having lavish dresses, toys, gadgets, you name it, everything you want is at your disposal. Quite frankly, Ranran could've lived a modern Cinderella life.

However, back then 4-year-old Ranran would soon think otherwise.

The fixated 4-year-old seems to be clinging onto her own knees, as she rocked back and forth on a seat she is sitting in some home private theatre. Watching the movie flashing before her, it was as if she was watching a horror movie. It was a small, dark room and the only light came from the projector towards the screen. The only sound was coming out from the movie being played. Ranran was sitting in silence, looking at the screen.

A quiet night, and she was all alone.

She was so lost in thought that she didn't hear The Boy coming up to her.

"Ah Ranran, there you are. I was wondering where you are...."The Boy's words soon died down as he realizes the 4-year-old girl's eyes seem off. Staring the direction of the footage where it reveals her future self doing 'dumb things' in the little girl's words, he quickly heads to the laptop where the wire is connected to the projector before switching it off in a hurry. "Don't watch this anymore, it doesn't make you feel any better. I learn that the hard way too."He hurriedly turns the projector off as she looks as shaken as a ghost.

...this is messed up.

The 4-year-old on her seat had a stiff posture, her blue eyes once filled with light has become icy blue, soulless. Fortunate, The Boy has known her for close to 2 years. He knew her behaviour, her likes, and dislikes, as well as when is her limits. The silent room was suffocating. The walls were too thin, the air was too thin, and the only thing that was keeping her from being consumed by the darkness was the presence of her friend.

The little boy let out a deep breath, staying composed.

"Ranran," he said evenly, looking at him. "Tell me how you are feeling now."

The little girl grimaced, "I look pathetic," she mumbled, looking down."Like a one dimension buffoon with no goals or dreams."

The little boy stared at the little girl grimly as she looked miserable."You ain't like that."

She stayed quiet for a while,"...you ain't like that either," she lowered her eyes, "yet she trampled all over you like that and you ended up wanting her to love you, but in reality, she manipulated you! Do you feel alright with this?"