Chapter 6 - Death threats

At 6 pm on a Wednesday, everyone gathered at headquarters and shared the afternoon's discoveries as all of them sat around the table. Shinichi then listed their findings on the whiteboard of the main HQ of Tantei association.

"So that movie's ending is that tragic!? Poor thing."Junko couldn't help but sympathize.

"So there are people that are stupid enough to die in the name of love and to top it off, so cringy, it's better to die than to remain alive," Ranran rolled her eyes as she speaks casually.

"Kudo Ranran, don't be rude!"Junko lashed at the emotionless Ranran, who couldn't be bothered, "Just because she died out of love, doesn't give you the right to call her stupid!"Michio winced at her angry voice as Junko yelled at Ranran.

"Junko is right," Ran sided the glassed girl," Also, it could've been murder for all we know, since her university friend, the director of the movie 'The Origin of My childhood', Tanaka Kirin believes that she isn't capable of doing so."

"Maybe like those K-dramas, those wealthy families like the Tadashis are behind the plot, making her murder in the guise of suicide to hide some dark secret she knew about that family while the ML spiral into lunacy beyond return."Takuma speculates.

"You watch too many dramas, you idiot."Shinichi shakes his head in annoyance at the half-Korean boy, "We did a background search and Tadashi Saji was groomed to be the heir of the Tadashi movie studios, then years ago, shortly after Seto Manami's suicide...he voluntarily gave it up and left the public spotlight. Which was odd...given that he had a party-boy reputation in the movie industry."

The blue-eyed boy's eyes laid on the school laptop placed in front of Ranran, as she browsed its content, "In addition to that, all of these announcements were done by their spokesperson of the family with no named mentioned."Ranran hovered the cursor around the highlighted detail, as she said, "That meant he was never seen in person shortly after the suicide."

"Could Tadashi Saji had committed the murder on his girlfriend Seto, then the family aided in his escape by hiring a spokesperson while he fled overseas?"Emiko suggests, "That could explain why he is no longer in the spotlight."

"That is a possibility, but then it wouldn't really be necessary, given that the director of the movie claimed the police declared it a suicide. If he had fled, it would've made things worst for him. Also, if he wanted to, why? Why murder her?"Ranran folded her arms and frowned, "Also, what would make someone like Tadashi Saji disappear out of the blue? I mean this guy is sitting under a pile of millions of yen."

"Plus, how is this connected to Nambe who allegedly is deceased?"Michio arched an eyebrow, "I had a feeling this isn't a coincidence."

"Who took over after he vanished?"Ran probed.

"The adopted son of the Tadashi family."Ranran sent the news article to everyone on their smartphone.

"Son?!"Ran was surprised,"I thought in the movie was an adopted daughter, the villainess!"

"Well, the family had influence in the movie industry, if they match the detail as accurately as real life, they can get sued, Mouri."Shinichi elaborated.

"What?! But it's a real-life story!"Ran said.

"It is also a memory no one like to remember, Mouri. If you find out that a dark past of yours you refused to ever remember again is being made into a movie for millions to see, would you want anyone to watch it?"Ranran replied in a chilly tone.

That sent goosebumps to Ran, as she noted how depressed Ranran was. Wondering whether she did anything wrong in the association, she was about to ask till Takuma who is sitting next to Ran shakes his head, telling her not to."Why not?"Ran whispers.