Chapter 14 - Motherly worries

Meanwhile, a mother taking a first-class trip with her husband home to Japan was not pleased to learn about the recent news development back in Japan.

"My daughter and Shinichi did what!?"

Irene Watson bangs the armchair in anger while talking over the phone with someone, "Irene, this is bad. I mean the news of her being chased with Shinichi by a gunman is all over the place!"

"Get Genzo over the phone right now!"

"But ma'am, the lines to contacting them are dead now because of the earthquake situation. Also, I don't have his private number, and he is off to work in an undercover sting."

Irene was gobsmacked by the situation."Then figure a way to get his number! My daughter and Shinichi's life is on the line!" Irene then realizes it may not be the case, "You know what!? I mean it ain't just them, but the additional five other kids!"

After ordering the unfortunate man over the phone to send Genzo on their way, she abruptly slams the phone on the chair while her husband silently watches."Ranran got into trouble again?"

"Worst, she didn't mention she is working on another dangerous case."

Their entire flight is silent as Irene Watson was pinching her nose bridge, having heard what her daughter has done recently.

Her husband glances at her. The anger, the disbelief she felt when she was called on what Ranran has done was evident this was going to be a persisting problem. Of course, they could hire a maid or butler, or even a nanny for that matter, but it won't change Ranran's attitude on getting involved in dangerous cases.

"Don't be mad at Ranran," Her husband reassures his wife," She is still a child."

"I ain't mad at her, more towards myself," Irene commented as she frustratingly said, "I failed as a mother. Otherwise, she wouldn't be doing all these things behind our back."

Irene wasn't wrong, as she feels too disappointed towards herself rather than her daughter.

.....

The day Ranran was born, she was 99 percent close to opening death's door.

Irene who was only 16 at that time watch helplessly, including her horrified husband who was outside the hallway as she watched nurses and doctors coming in and out to try and resuscitate her with whatever machine they could find at their disposal. You would've assumed that since a baby is born from a healthy teenager like Irene, baby Ranran would've been spared from any health problems.

But here is the kicker— unlike what Tv drama and movies would romanticised that teenage pregnancy would transition smoothly in todays modern medical world, there are hidden dangers for mother and child. Low weight, premature birth at only 3 weeks, as well as high blood pressure for giving birth in a not fully develop teenage body, adding salt that the nurse dropped Ranran and having hurt her head upon delivering was enough to sent red flags.

With all of this combination of hell, Irene assumed she and her husband was going to find herself leaving the hospital with a body bag.

However, the cries from the premature baby finally out her motherly worries to rest. Though she wasn't completely out of the woods yet.

Hooked up to oxygen and had a feeding tube in her nose, Irene wondered did she made a mistake keeping her around. Ranran had more monitoring equipment hooked up to her than even her computer literate husband could count. It made him look smaller, a fragile bundle of wires and tubes, and she wished she had the strength to take all of the damn wires of her child.

Despite this however, she cooed and wriggled, her face scrunching up as she struggle to move away from of all the wires, as it was limiting her movement.