Chapter 7 - Indebted

By 7:30 am on a Wednesday, everyone had gathered at headquarters in school. They listened in horrified silence as Junko told her story. "He held me under the water. He said it was just...a friendly warning..."

Ran gripped her friend's arm, turning slowly towards Shinichi while she stared at him and Ranran firmly. But Shinichi and Ranran were both unconcerned with her glare. Instead, they were both concerned about what to do with the situation.

"Ranran, this has gone too far!"Michio accused them both. "We should drop this case now."

Ranran blinked her eyes quietly for a moment, with no protest nor acceptance. Her fingers drummed on the table as much, to everyone's surprise, Ranran answered."Ok, if you guys said so."

"Wait, really!?"Shinichi, Takuma, Emiko and others were in disbelief of Ranran's behaviour.

"I have been waiting for you guys to say something. So I came up with a third contract, one that will permanently ensure you guys will no longer be involved with matters of Tantei association ever again. To those who want to remain, however, don't sign."Ranran grins, finally she is going to get rid of them through such means.

"What?!"Everyone's jaw dropped.

"I will never drop a case because a member tells me to. Hell, I did warn all of you guys, nah? How dangerous this is going to be."Ranran remained firm with a pout on her face, which Shinichi deemed as cute.

"No way!"Ran cried in outrage, "This is forcing us to be obedient to you!"

"Wrong, "Ranran corrected her with seriousness in her tone, "I am offering all of you the option to save your skin. You are all incapable detectives."

Ranran's words stung Ran and Junko while Michio froze.

"Sharp."Takuma is impressed, and so are Emiko and Shinichi.

"You won't back down even after being threatened, respect."Emiko salutes her.

"I don't back down when my members are threatened, I will do by all means to bring that bastard whatever means necessary. Especially for him to threaten a child like us with no adults around, that proves how cowardly he is."Ranran is firm on her decision.

"You know I am never going to quit even if Ran tells me to, right?"Her apprentice reminded her, impressed by Ranran's bravery.

"The contract ain't for you, it's for those who choose to remain here for unrealistic reasons even after signing the 2nd contract, Shinichi."Ranran smiled at him, before staring back at Michio, Junko and Ran who is beginning to look pale."Alright, time to trim the fat of the association."

As Ranran was about to produce her ultimate triumph card to permanently remove those who are against her, much to Junko's horror, Michio later shook his head. "No!" he protest, "Just because I said drop the case, didn't mean I will quit! I meant Junko should quit!"

"What!? I didn't say I would quit either because of this!"Junko said firmly, surprising everyone. "I think we should keep going. I don't care how dangerous it is, I refuse to let anyone push me around!"

Michio's jaw dropped. So did everyone else.

"Alright then, geez, to think you guys are still going to remain here."Ranran let out her annoyance before putting away the files.

Ran spun her head around instantly and stared at Junko in disbelief. "But, Junko, you heard what the man said," Ran began, staring at Junko in disbelief.

Junko then quickly pulled Ran close to her before whispering hastily, "If I signed this, Michio will avoid me for life in this association, Ran!" Ran was stunned as Junko went on rambling, "Sure, I am scared of dying, but there are things worst than being alive and never seeing Michio again!"