śíx

CHAPTER FOUR: THE ICE

"There it is; a big chunk of ice," Din said, staring at Tyris from the pilot's seat. It really didn't look like more than that. The whole planet was a Smokey blue with only small patches of mountains peppered throughout its surface.

"What's the likeliness of finding a bounty here?" Beth teased.

"If you were desperate enough to live, you would do it too," he countered with a small chuckle.

A grin spread across her face at his laugh. Something about it just put her at ease. Knowing they had a tracking fob was good, but she doubted anyone would be able to camp outside of town and survive in this weather. So, the bounty would be an easy find anyways.

"There isn't even a hanger pad. It's just ice," he said, reemphasizing the insignificance of this place.

"Just land us near the village. It's already freezing and we're not even outside yet," she said, standing from the co-pilot's chair and placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder plate as she left.

The small contact was enough to remind her of his touch last night. She shivered as the detailed memories entered her mind. Something it seems she would have to get used to while traveling with him.

When they landed, Beth stood firmly at the opening to the ramp with blasters already drawn. Din came down after he secured the cockpit and smirked as he found her standing so intimidatingly.

"You look ready," he teased.

"I am. Let's go," she said, starting to lead the way down the frigid metal of the ramp. But he stopped her with his arm, softly pressing it against her chest plate.

"I'm leading on this one," he said firmly. He wasn't prepared to have her get hurt again, and the best way to do that was to always be in front of her in case something went down.

"Fine," she said, gesturing with her hand to walk on.

"Thank you,"

They walked across the frozen surface to the small city they had landed by. It offered some protection from the cold as tall mountains blocked the wind in the distance, but it was still much colder than either of them were used to. Beth was already losing feeling in her fingers as the freezing air made its way past her worn leather gloves.

"How do people even live here?" She complained, rubbing her fingers together to try and revive them.

Din stayed quiet as he led the way through the small town to an Inn. It was made from dark wooden logs stacked into a traditional log cabin. They must have been imported because there weren't enough trees to make one building, let alone a whole town. There was no smoke coming from inside, but Beth was willing to bet they had some high tech heating systems on this planet.

Their snow ridden boots clomped on the front porch of the inn before entering. Instantly, Beth felt the warmth absorb into her body and she hummed happily.

"Are we staying here tonight?" She asked eagerly.

"We don't have a choice. Any ship out there would be way too cold in this kind of weather. We'd be dead before morning," he explained, keeping his voice down until he approached the desk.

"Welcome travelers! Can I interest you in a room?" The perky lady behind the desk offered. Din stayed quiet despite her cheerful attitude and placing some credits on the table.

"Two, please," he said.

He was fortunate that his voice modifications were new and he could talk lowly and still be understood, because man did he mumble.