chapter one

Iris Montague hummed to herself, fixing one of her headphones as she walked to the small strip mall near her apartment. She mumbled the words to Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High by the Arctic Monkeys. It only took her a few minutes to reach the strip mall, and only a few seconds to walk up to the mini mart. She took out one of her headphones as she noticed a familiar angry blond already in the store. 

"Oh, hey Mr. Lawrence." The young brunette greeted the man as he pushed his way past her and out of the mini mart. She rolled her eyes at his manners and decided to focus on finding a pack of sour skittles. 

"You know him?" The brunette looked up slowly and saw a boy around her age walk up to her. He had an innocent glow about him that made her smile. 

"Yeah, I live next door to him." Iris didn't think the boy's smile could get any bigger, but it in fact could. She let out an airy laugh as he lifted his arms in the air. 

"No way! That must mean we're neighbors. My names Miguel." He held out a hand for her to shake, his smile never leaving his lips. 

"Iris." A group of teens entered the mini mart as Iris introduced herself. She instantly shrunk back when she noticed who it was. She grabbed Miguel's arm as his happy go lucky attitude took over and he began to approach the group. "Just keep your head down, they'll leave." Miguel gave his new friend a weird look as the group walked over to them. 

"Iris, hey." One of the boys walked up behind the girl, moving a piece of her hair away from her face. "How've you been?" 

"Get away from me Brucks." Iris pulled away from the boy as the others let out laughs. 

"Feisty, I like it." Brucks leaned close to the girl, laughing in her ear before backing away. The group slowly grabbed a box of beer, making their way to the register. Iris let out a breath of relief that she soon regretted once Miguel opened his mouth. 

"Hey, you guys must go to West Valley High." Miguel spoke up, still smiling over at the group of boys. "That's how you know Iris, right?" The group of boys went stiff, slowly looking up at the man at the register. 

"High school?" 

"Shit." Iris mumbled under her breath once she realized what was about to happen. The group of boys, now pissed that Miguel ratted them out, began stalking over to the two. She tried to push Miguel towards the doors but it was too late. Brucks grabbed the girls arm, pushing her out with Miguel. 

"What the hell are you doing?" The leader of the group, Kyler, pushed Miguel out the door furious at what the boy unknowingly did. "Why you gotta blow up my spot?" 

"Look, dude, I-I-"

"Kyler, he didn't know!" Brucks pushed Iris out the door as she tried to defend the poor boy ahead of her. 

"He thought we were in college dumbass." 

"I didn't know you were trying to buy beer. I'm sorry!" Kyler lunged forward and shoved Miguel onto the grass. 

"Kyler! Stop, he didn't know!" Iris struggled against Brucks grip on her arm as she tried to move towards Miguel. 

"Shut up Iris!" The boys began to circle Miguel, picking at the plastic bag he dropped on the floor like vultures. "Ooh what do we got here? Pepto?" Kyler held up a pink bottle of Pepto-Bismol and Miguel instantly deflated. 

"Oh shit, someone's got fricken' diarrhea!" The boys began to laugh, still circling Miguel. Iris pulled her arm, trying to get it out of Bruck's grasp.

"Hey, we should call him 'Rhea." Brucks laughed as he pulled Iris closer to him. She could smell the sweat coming off the boy and she had to refrain herself from gagging.