chapter two

"Iris." The young girl's breath caught in her throat as she heard the taunting voice of Brucks. She tried to hide herself behind her locker door, not wanting to deal with him and Kyler's bullshit this early in the morning. "What's up doll face?" Brucks pushed her locker door shut, just missing her hand that was inside the small metal locker. She turned to face the bully keeping a straight face.

"Leave me alone Brucks, I just want to go to lunch." The girl began walking backwards, trying to create space between her and the large boy.

"Oh, right." Brucks laughed to himself, raising one hand to touch his chin. "You're still dating that freak aren't you? Yknow the one with the fucked up lip."

"His name is Eli, and no we're not dating. He's my friend." Iris felt anger bubble in her stomach as Brucks began to make fun of her best friend.

"Yeah, well when you're done with him come over to our side." Brucks slammed his hand against the lockers, trapping Iris in between. She held her tongue as Brucks looked her up and down, an animalistic look on his face. "I'll show you a good time. Unlike that freak I won't be afraid to touch you. I'd make you feel better than he ever could." Iris couldn't hold her anger in any longer, she did the one thing she could think of at the moment.

She spit in his face.

Brucks backed up, lifting his hand to wipe away the spit on his face. The girl quickly booked it down the hall, not wanting to be near the boy as he yelled at her down the hall.

"You bitch!" She quickly turned the corner and ran towards the cafeteria doors. She quickly pushed them open and scanned the room for her friends, and to her surprise Miguel was already sitting with them. She hurried towards them and sat down quickly in the empty seat next to Miguel. She tried slowing her breathing as the three boys watched her in confusion.

"What did you just run a mile?" Demetri's voice made her roll her eyes, his condescending tone evident.

"Was it Brucks?" Iris nodded at Eli who spoke up quietly. She watched as Eli's jaw clenched, refusing to say anything more.

"What did he do?" Concern flowed in Miguel's voice as he watched his new friend. She reached over, grabbing the apple off his tray before taking a bite.

"Just being a creep, nothing new." She stared at the apple, not wanting to look up at the three pairs of eyes watching her in pity and concern. "I'm fine, guys. Seriously." She smiled up at each of them hoping to convince them.

"Dude, don't torture yourself." Iris looked up from the apple, watching Miguel make googly eyes at Yasmine and Sam. "Those are the rich girls."

"Do you ever talk to them?"

"Oh yeah! All the time. We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs." Iris rolled her eyes at Demetri's sarcasm. She looked over at Miguel who realized that his new friends were fucking with him. "Eli here is the homecoming king. Gets laid more than anyone. Isn't that right Iris?" The girl in question choked on the small piece of apple that she was currently trying to chew. Heat flooded her cheeks as she looked at the three boys, all sporting different expressions on their faces.

Miguel looked at her with an amused smirk on his face. His eyebrows slightly raised as he watched the girl get flustered.

Demetri sat with a knowing smirk that stretched across his cheeks. He let out a small laugh that he tried to cover up with a cough as the girl looked at him with wide eyes.

Eli watched the girl, his cheeks also as red as a tomato. He watched her in curiosity as she tried to get rid of the blush that covered her cheeks. When she looked up at him, it only caused the two to go redder.