Chapter 20

Katherine slowly blinked her eyes open, groaning softly as the harsh hospital lights assaulted her senses. She shifted slightly, her body protesting the movement as pain shot through her side. The events leading up to her accident rushed back to her, and she winced at the memory.

"Well, look who's finally decided to join the land of the living," Allison's voice chimed in, carrying a mix of amusement and relief. Katherine turned her head to find her sister standing by the bedside, a tray of food in her hands.

"Oh, great, it's my long-lost sibling," Katherine retorted with a hint of sarcasm, trying to muster a playful smile despite the discomfort.

Allison chuckled, placing the tray on the bedside table. "Long-lost? Please, you love me more than life itself," she teased, rolling her eyes.

Katherine raised an eyebrow, a smirk playing on her lips. "Oh, absolutely. That's why I always dreamed of lying in a hospital bed and being waited on by you."

"Hey, I'm hurt," Allison feigned offense, placing a hand over her heart dramatically. "I'm just here to make sure you don't starve to death."

Katherine eyed the tray of hospital food skeptically. "I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure this qualifies as actual sustenance."

"Trust me, I've had worse," Allison quipped, her eyes glinting mischievously. "Remember those cooking experiments you tried back then?"

Katherine grimaced, memories of burnt dinners and failed baking attempts flooding her mind. "Ah, the good old days of culinary disasters."

"Exactly," Allison agreed, grinning. "So, my food suddenly doesn't sound so bad, does it?"

Katherine chuckled weakly, conceding the point. "Fine, I'll give it a shot. But if I start hallucinating unicorns or speaking in rhymes, I'm blaming you."

"Deal," Allison replied with a wink, helping Katherine adjust the bed to a more comfortable position.

As Katherine gingerly began to eat, she couldn't help but feel a sense of camaraderie with her sister. Despite the teasing and bickering, there was an underlying bond that ran deep between them. It was a bond forged through shared experiences, laughter, and even the occasional culinary disaster.

As they continued to banter and share stories, Katherine felt a sense of warmth and belonging. Despite the eccentricities and challenges of their family, she knew that they were her people, her home.

"So, next time you decide to have a dramatic accident, could you at least pick a more convenient time?" Allison quipped, a playful glint in her eyes.

Katherine laughed, wincing slightly as she did. "I'll be sure to consult my schedule before any future mishaps."

"Good. We wouldn't want your hospital stays to clash with our family reunions," Allison teased.

"Wouldn't want to steal the spotlight," Katherine shot back, her eyes twinkling with amusement.
__________________

Five bolted upright in bed, his chest heaving with ragged breaths as he emerged from the clutches of a haunting nightmare. His heart pounded in his chest, and a cold sweat covered his forehead. The image of Katherine's lifeless body was etched into his mind, the feeling of helplessness still lingering.

His surroundings gradually came into focus, the darkness of the room offering little comfort. Five's hands trembled as he wiped the sweat from his brow, his mind still trapped in the nightmare's grip. He reached out instinctively, searching for the comforting presence of Katherine beside him.

His fingers grasped empty air, and panic surged through him anew. "Katherine?" he croaked, his voice thick with unease.

The silence that followed was deafening, and Five's heart sank as the reality of the nightmare set in. It had felt so real, so vivid, and the lingering fear that it might become a reality clawed at him.

Five swung his legs over the side of the bed and ran a shaky hand through his hair. He needed to see her, to know that she was safe and alive. Pushing himself to his feet, he stumbled through the darkness, his steps unsteady as he made his way towards her room.

The dim light in the hallway offered little solace as Five approached Katherine's door. He hesitated for a moment, his fingers hovering above the doorknob. He knew that opening the door would confirm that she was okay, but a part of him feared the worst.

Summoning his resolve, Five turned the doorknob and pushed the door open slowly. The sight before him was a relief beyond words – Katherine lay in her bed, her chest rising and falling in peaceful slumber. A faint smile tugged at the corners of Five's lips as he let out a shaky breath.

He stepped closer, his gaze never leaving her face. The soft moonlight cast a gentle glow over her features, and Five's heartache began to ease as he watched her breathe. He reached out and brushed a strand of hair away from her forehead, his touch light and tender.

"You're safe," he whispered, his voice a mixture of relief and vulnerability. "I won't let anything happen to you."

As if in response to his words, Katherine stirred in her sleep, a contented sigh escaping her lips. Five's fingers lingered on her skin, his touch soothing and grounding. He remained by her side for a moment longer, his earlier fear slowly dissipating.

With a final, lingering look, Five quietly retreated from Katherine's room and returned to his own. The nightmare had shaken him to his core, but the sight of her sleeping peacefully had granted him a measure of comfort. He slipped back into bed, his thoughts now focused on protecting and cherishing the time he had with Katherine – a determination born from the depths of his subconscious fears.