The Burning Tree (Niki and Ghostbur)

(This didn't actually happen, it isn't canon. I was just inspired by the art, which belongs to fantasyamazon on Instagram)

Niki dropped the torch next to the trunk of the bright green tree, before stepping out from underneath its leaves. The grass next to the trunk caught fire pretty quickly, and soon the edges of the bark began to burn, and at that point, there was no turning back. Niki took a few more steps back and watched in silence as the orange flames spread to the leaves and branches. Tears formed in Niki's eyes as she stood still and quiet as the fire grew larger and larger.

"Niki?"

Niki jumped at the hoarse voice behind her, before turning around and coming face to face with a face from the past.

(Credit for the art at top)

Her eyes widened in disbelief, her face falling into a slight frown as she met his faded brown eyes. She swallowed a lump that had swiftly developed in her throat and turned completely around. She released a shaky sigh before she opened her mouth to respond.

"Hello Wilbur."

The ghost of her friend stared in horror as the tree behind her slowly began to crumble and turn to charcoal.

(Credit for the art at the top)

"Niki, what are you doing?" He asked

Niki shook his head "No, y-your dead," Niki said, "You're not really here."

The ghost shook his head "No, no, Alivebur died, I am Ghostbur."

Niki chuckled slightly as the ghost attempted to explain how Niki wasn't actually seeing things.

"Wilbur-"

"Ghostbur," The ghost said, "I'm Ghostbur."

Niki nodded "Ghostbur," Niki sighed "I-I had no choice." 

Ghostbur smiled and shook his head "No, no, everyone has a choice in what they do." Ghostbur said, "No one's forcing you to do this." 

Niki chuckled softly "Ghostbur, I don't think you understand," Niki said, "It had to be done."

"N-no, no it did-"

A branch from the tree fell, causing both Niki and Ghostbur to jump and turn to face the falling tree. Tears began to fall from the corners of Niki's eyes as she turned back to the ghost behind her. 

"Wil,"

The ghost turned to her as she raised her hand to her forehead in a salute before shakily inhaling. 

She released the air in a sigh and looked to Ghostbur with a sad smile "It, really was never meant to be."

(Sorry for this being so short, but I wasn't sure how to make longer, because it was actually really quick)