chapter seven

MOM

MOM...WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?
porcelain- mxmtoon

"M-Mom?"

Her voice croaked. The teenage girl's mouth quivered as her eyebrows bunch in confusion. Her quivering eyes were searching the ones right before her for an answer.

"W-what's wrong..? S-say something...please!"

Aiko begged. She could feel the bile forming in her throat and the tears started working up in her eyes again. Her hands were shakily reaching out to the person she calls 'mother'.  The other party stood still, staying silent at her daughter's words. Uta's fists was clenched as she tries to register the situation.

But her eyes held deep hatred.

Aiko tried to hold back her tears as she swallowed the formed bile. She had never seen her mother - the woman that has always been kind and supportive to her, the woman that is always so thoughtful, the woman that is soft-spoken and caring - look at her that way.

It was like her mother wanted her dead.

Just as Aiko's hand touched her mother's arm, her mother flinched and stepped backwards, away from her own daughter.  The younger girl's heart dropped even more into anguish.  Her mother's expression changed to an even worser one. Her eyebrows were deepened and her eyes glared with intentions more than hatred - betrayal?

She pointed her delicate fingers, the very same one that held Aiko since she was a newborn, to Aiko's face. She grit her teeth and her knuckle white hands trembled. Aiko's hands were still outstretched towards her, hoping to find the warmth of her mother figure.

"Get away from me, you monster!"

What...? What are you talking about mom..? What are you pointing at? Your fingers..they're pointing at me..are you calling me a monster?

"M-mom! Stop joking around haha...why are you saying all these stuff?" Aiko softened her voice. Her hands itching to move towards her mom once again but the latter pushed her away, causing Aiko to stumble back from the unexpected force.

"Don't touch me!"

The teenager stared at the palms of her hand where her mother had slapped away. This must be a nightmare. It has to be. The person right in front of her wasn't her mother. Her mother wouldn't be like this. Her mother would be accepting and helping her through this confusing time.

She stared back at Uta who was now seething in anger. Aiko could see her little brother Ryo watching the scene from her mother's back. Confusion written all over his face as he held his hands together. He looked like he wanted to cry as well, seeing his only family fight for the very first time. For someone as smart as him, this was also the first time he didn't know what to do.