chapter thirteen

HIS FIRST FLIGHTwing$ - macklemore, ryan lewis

HIS FIRST FLIGHT
wing$ - macklemore, ryan lewis

Hawks doesn't remember having a childhood; no, he can't remember having it at all. At the age of a young adult, he couldn't remember being a selfish child screaming for a toy he wanted or crying in the lap of a caring mother after tripping during playtime. As much as he tried, it was like most of his memories of being a child had vanished. There were some bits and pieces that he remembered but, it wasn't much.

The earliest memory he could recall was his mother. She never held him lovingly or kissed him every night before sleep to rid any nightmares. Instead, she would caress and give that affection to a bottle of whiskey and drank the night away. Sometimes, she would talk to herself which was fine to him, but other times, she would be spitting words at Hawks and blaming him for everything.

After meeting with Aiko and hearing her story with her mother, Hawks's own memory resurfaced to haunt him. Similar to what Aiko had experienced, his mother also despised his wings. He was three years old when it was fully formed and Hawks was the happiest human being the moment he realised that they were his very own wings.

But that moment didn't last long. When his mother had noticed the bright red wings, she spat the word that still echoes through his head once in a while.

"Disgusting"

As a child, Hawks was confused and heartbroken to hear his very own mother hating a part of his body. Especially when he was proud of it himself. However, his mother slowly started making sense as to why she hated it.

"You're just like him,"

"You take over that bastard,"

"I wish you were never born,"

"Are you gonna be like him? A thief? A lying asshole?"

It didn't take long for Hawks to connect the dots as a child. She was talking about his father who would mostly be absent from their small house.

Then, the favours came in. His mother started using him to steal from people. Hawks still loved his mother after the words she has said to him, so by doing what his mother asks, he thought that she would start loving him.

He wasn't proud of his actions but he was desperate for love and care. He was using his quirk to do bad things, unlike the television shows or comics about superheroes that always saves others, he was stealing.

Like father, like son, he kept stealing until the accident happened. He instinctively saved a family from a car accident. From that moment, no amount of love or manipulation from his mother could compare to the pride and joy he had when the people thanked him. Then, he was recruited by the HSPC, never seeing his mother and father again.