Chapter 18 {Percy's POV}

Percy’s POV

The news of the quest was still making its way through camp, though most people had heard. Everywhere I went, people would look at me sympathetically, or step aside whenever I tried to walk past them. And I could understand why they were acting like that.

After I had finished packing, I went to find Beth, to see how she was going with Drew. I knew that Drew could be a real pain at times, and I really hoped she wasn’t being too hard on Beth.

I passed Connor sitting on a rock, looking almost sad, for once. Which was weird, for him.

“Hey man, you okay?” I asked, sitting next to him.

“Oh, uh, yeah. Layne’s ignoring me, but oh well”, he muttered.

“Sorry. Have you seen Beth anywhere?” I replied.

“No, sorry”, he responded, looking at the ground again. I took that as my cue to leave, and continued walking towards the Aphrodite cabin.

I then passed Will, angrily stabbing a dummy at the arena, and I walked past, furrowing my eyebrows at him. Then I saw Emma skimming stones into the lake angrily, and I raised an eyebrow. What was with that?

“Emma?” I said, walking down behind her.

“Oh, hey Perce”, she greeted, looking at me.

“Do you know what’s wrong with Will?” I asked.

“No! He’s being an irrational idiot”, she spat.

“Oh. Okay then”, I stammered, walking away. I’d guess they had a fight, of some sort. That would explain why they were both so angry.

I then passed Leo, who was talking to Shadow. I waved at them, and they waved back. I walked away grinning, glad I had finally found someone who wasn’t acting weird.

“Percy!” I heard a voice call from behind me. I turned around to see who it was, and found Layne standing behind me.

“Oh, hey Layne”, I said, grinning at her. “Um, why are you ignoring Connor?”

“I’m not! I just don’t want to talk to that twat”, she said defensively.

“Okay, sorry”, I said hurriedly. Why is everyone acting so weirdly?

“Anyway, what I was going to ask you, is if you’d seen Jemma”, she revealed, glaring at me.

“Um, no. Sorry. Have you seen Beth?” I asked.

“No. But I’ll send her your way if I see her”, Layne promised, turning and skipping off, her weird mood nowhere to be seen.