Chapter 9: High School Party, Sick...Actually, I think I'm Going to be Sick

On Saturday at five pm, Mia entered her kitchen holding her miniature black backpack. She walked up to her Dad who was leaning against the counter drinking coffee in his Harry Potter mug. She wrapped her arms around his waist and gave him a hug. He kissed the top of her head as he wrapped the arm not holding the coffee around her. The sun from the window brightly shined into the kitchen, making his dark brown skin glow. Mia then walked over to her Mom and hugged her too, before stealing a piece of bacon off her plate. The Wilson's liked eating breakfast food for lunch on weekends.

"What do you want?" her Dad asked, his dark brown eyes squinting at his daughter suspiciously. Her Mom laughed at the question and raised her eyebrows at Mia, as a way to also ask the question.

Mia couldn't help the laugh that also escaped her. "First of all, I hug you guys without wanting something all the time. Second, I'm sleeping over at Hazel's." Mia and Hazel had been close friends for so long that Mia's parents regarded Hazel as their second daughter. Mia didn't even have to ask to go to Hazel's house, just inform her parents. Besides, her parents knew the most trouble the two girls would get into was staying up until five am. They didn't need to know about the party.

Mia ate lunch and waved goodbye to her parents before walking to Hazel's house. She didn't mind the walk, it gave her time to think and the way to Hazel's house was absolutely gorgeous. The trees were a deep, rich green that reminded her of the park. She smiled at that thought. Even though the sun was lower in the sky, it's yellow and red glow made Mia happy. The slight tingle of the sun's rays on her skin made her realize she hadn't put on sunscreen. She heard the faint barking of a dog and the screams of delight from a couple of kids playing tag.

Finally, she reached Hazel's house and unlocked the door with her key. Yes, Hazel and Mia had keys to each other's house. For a while, in freshman year they had wondered if they were too codependent on each other. So, they decided to take a friendship break. Approximately three days, seven hours, and fifty-nine minutes later, they called it off. Maybe they were too codependent on each other, but what was the point of a best friend if you couldn't depend on them? Locking the door behind her, Mia made her way to the kitchen. Hazel's mother didn't even look surprised to see her. She greeted her with a hug and took the brownie her mother offered her.

Walking up the mahogany stairs to Hazel's room, Mia heard yelling. She stopped at Jade, Hazel's younger sister's room. Mia greeted her with a hey and Jade hugged her before running back to her bed, her curls flying behind her. She fixed her overall straps before focusing on her computer, talking to whoever was on the other side. When Mia entered Hazel's room, all she could see was chaos. Dresses, skirts, and shirts were on the bed and floor. Her desk was also littered with makeup and hair products.

Hazel turned to Mia with a wicked grin on her face. "Let the torture begin," she said with an evil laugh. Was it too late to run?

Hazel pushed Mia into her desk chair and immediately started applying makeup to her face after washing her hands. Primer, concealer, and highlighter, all of it. Hazel let Mia do her own mascara though, not wanting a repeat of when she had accidentally poked her eye with a mascara eye, causing Mia's tears to be black for two days. Mia returned the favor and helped Hazel put on her makeup. Examining the mirror in her room, Mia saw that Hazel had chosen a deep brown to dust her eyelids with. Mia picked up a light pink lipstick and carefully applied it.

Hazel then dragged Mia to her closet and handed her a dress. Mia would normally not wear a dress like this, it showed too much skin for her comfort. That was one thing she was jealous of about Hazel- she was confident enough to wear dresses and skirts like this. She knew it was just going to be for this party so she could suck up her discomfort for one night. The girls took their dresses and went down to the large basement. This is where most of their sleepovers were held. There was a large projector perfect for playing movies and a surround sound system in the basement. Not to mention a wide array of snacks and comfortable seating. Hazel went back up the stairs to tell her parents they were leaving. The Lowe's were very liberal with what the girls did, as long as they stayed safe and called them the second they needed to. They told Hazel early on that they would rather pick her up absolutely hammered from a party than have to pick her up from the hospital because she got into the car of a drunk driver. When Hazel came back down, the two put on their outfits and grabbed their phones. In a few minutes, Nathan would be there.