Chapter 12: If That's Not Friendship Then What Is

On Tuesday, Mia, Hazel, and Nathan were hanging out at Jo's. Instead of being in their fourth-period class, the three decided to make better use of their time and enjoy a meal at Jo's. Mia and Hazel had finished their work early so their teacher had allowed them to leave ten minutes into the start of class. Nathan, on the other hand, had ditched fourth period altogether, claiming he wasn't in the mood to learn. When their food arrived at the table, they started to dig in.

Taking a sip of her blueberry milkshake, Mia observed Nathan who was sitting in the seat across from the girls. "Hey, Nathan. Can I pretty please with a cherry on top go with you next time you fix something for a client?"

"Absolutely not," he replied before sipping his lime shake. The three of them had decided to go with fruit shakes. Hazel was currently drinking her cherry shake as she observed the pair.

"Well, why not? It would be fun!"

Nathan unwaveringly stared at her. "Mia, not to be rude, but look at you. Sometimes a client wants me to do something dangerous. I can't put you in that kind of danger."

"Can I go if I want?" Hazel asked.

"Yeah," Nathan said without hesitation. After Mia gasped in disbelief, he explained himself. "I mean look at Hazel. She can scare even me. She would have an opponent trembling with just one look." Hazel took it as a compliment.

"I can so take care of myself! Besides, what are you doing? It's not like you're running drugs for the mafia," she protested. "Wait, is that what you're doing? In that case, you have to let me come. I mean, I need to meet your rich young, hot mafia boss who I proceed to fall in love with."

"This isn't a Wattpad story," Hazel interjected with a snort.

"What are you even talking about Mia?" he asked with a hint of concern in his voice.

"If you take me on a fixing mission with you then I can meet my future husband. Hazel, my young, hot mafia boss husband will be rich, so he can pay for our trip to Bora Bora!"

"In that case, I approve," Hazel nodded. "But you're more likely to date Kyle than a mafia boss."

"Whoa, whoa. First of all, I don't run drugs for a mafia boss. Second of all, you're not going on a fixing mission with me. Third of all, I don't actually have a third of all but you're kind of crazy. And who's Kyle?"

"Kyle's the guy Mia's had a crush on for months."

"Shut up," Mia hissed at Hazel.

Nathan thought for a second, running through a mental list of people from school. "Kyle Woodard? He's cool I guess."

"What's not cool is how much I have to hear about him considering Mia's practically in love with him."

"I am not in love with him! I just think he's nice, funny, has the bluest eyes, the kindest smile and-"

Hazel gestured to Mia. "What did I say? She's in love with him. Good luck with that mafia boss though."

Mia rolled her eyes and took a bit of her burger. "Whatever. I'll just walk around at night in hopes that the hot mafia boss kidnaps me. I wouldn't even have to attend college. In fact, he could just come to school and threaten people that are mean to me with a gun. I don't like guns," Mia continued with a scrunch of her nose. "But I guess I have to get used to them in order to become a young, hot mafia wife. Hazel, you better help him pick out a pretty engagement ring."

"Of course. That's just one of my duties as maid of honor."

Nathan blinked in disbelief. "Can we move on? You two just... I don't even know."

"Fine. But I will get you to let me come with you when you fix something. Mark my words. Anyways, Hazel did you see what the Bachelor said? I do not know why Grace wants to be with him." The three of them talked about a random assortment of topics over the next hour as they ate. School, tv shows, candy, the future.

After they had said goodbye to Nathan, the girls decided to hang out at Hazel's house. Instead of doing schoolwork they were laying on Hazel's bed and scrolling through social media. They held idle conversation, sometimes not saying anything for a few minutes. "Come look at what Danielle just posted," Hazel chuckled. Mia scooted closer to Hazel and looked at her phone screen.

"What is going on in her life?"

"I have no idea, but it sure does seem like she's enjoying it."

For a moment, they were silent. "Hey, Hazel? Do you ever get scared about our future?" she asked with a whisper. Hazel turned off her phone and turned so she was on her side facing Mia.

"What do you mean?"

"Sometimes I get worried. We're sending in college applications but what if we don't hear back from our dream schools? I still don't know what I want to major in. What if college isn't the greatest experience of my life?" Mia gazed into Hazel's brown eyes with sadness. "What if we stop being friends for some reason? I would be heartbroken."

Hazel tucked a loose strand of her hair behind Mia's ear. "Listen to me, Mia. We don't know what the future holds. Yes, we might not get into our dream schools. But maybe, the school we end up going to becomes our favorite place on Earth. You will find what you want to major in, you have two entire years to figure it out. Most importantly, we will never stop being best friends. We've been through so much together and are honest with each other. We're in this friendship for life, baby. Besides, I think the only reason we would stop being friends is if you sleep with my boyfriend," she joked. "Oh wait, I'm not into guys." Mia shoved her arm with an eye roll and laughed.

"You're right Hazey. Can we eat pizza now?"

"Can we lay here for another minute," she groaned in reply. "My body is begging me for rest."

After eating pizza and drinking ice-cold water, the two hung out for the rest of the afternoon, enjoying each other's company. The next few weeks would be filled with a lot of work, but then, it would be Thanksgiving break.