Chapter 24: Mean Aunt Flo Visits

When Nathan called her phone Mia answered with a bleary "Hello?"

"Hey. Are you busy? We can conquer another fear or just hang out."

"Neither," she groaned. "Leave me alone please."

Hearing him falter through the phone, she felt bad about how mean she had been. "Did I do something wrong?" he asked, the worry evident in his tone.

"Sorry, it's not you. I'm just experiencing the worst cramps of my life. It's like thanks for letting me know I'm not pregnant. I never would have guessed even though I haven't had sex in like two years. There's no way I'm leaving this couch, sorry."

"That's fine. Feel better." He hung up and Mia dropped her phone onto the floor before clutching her stomach after a particularly painful cramp hit.

Twenty minutes later, she heard the door open. Expecting it to be her Mom she called out to her. "Please tell me you bought chocolate Mom?"

What she didn't expect was Nathan's voice to answer back. "Sorry, not your Mom."

Mia lifted her head off the couch. "How did you get into my house?"

"You showed me where the spare key is, remember?"

"Oh yeah, I did." Curling back up into her fetal position, she asked, "Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you here? I don't feel like doing anything."

He came into view, holding two brown grocery bags. "I bought stuff that might help you. You look like you could take a nap, why don't you go up to your room."

"I could barely make it to the couch, no way I'm going up all those stairs. Just leave me here to die," she sighed.

Nathan noted the way she clutched her stomach and the look of pain etched onto her face. Without a second thought, he put one arm under her neck and the other under her knees. Scooping her up, she let out a yelp. "I'm going to take you to your room so you can rest. Then I'll show you what I bought." Mia settled into his arms, thankful she wouldn't have to walk. Park Gym really paid off considering he could carry her without breaking a sweat. Gently, he placed her on her bed before reaching into the plastic bags. "I asked my Mom in a panic what girls need on their period and she told me some stuff and then I also panic searched online before I went to the store. I had no idea what you use so I just bought these because some girl near me bought the same ones," he explained, pulling out a box of pads with wings. "Take two of these, they should help." He handed her the bottle of pills he had also bought.

"No way I'm taking two. Pills freak me out."

"Can you take one?" he prompted. After she nodded and threw the pill back without water, he reached into one of the bags. "I'm pretty sure I read that dark chocolate helps with period cramps but I figured you would like milk chocolate or even caramel chocolate better. So I just bought three different bars," he pulled out all three large bars. Placing them on the table, Nathan reached into his bag again. "Finally I bought this. I read that it helps with cramps." It was a red heating pad. "I tried to find a yellow one since that's your favorite color but I only found red and black. I figured the color didn't matter though." Nathan plugged it into the outlet and handed it to her. He took a deep breath. "Anyways I just thought these might help you. I'll leave you now. I hope you feel better. I mean, it's not like a period is a cold you can get over or anything. I'll stop talking now."

Mia was silent through his haul, observing how much thought he had put into helping her. He turned to leave but she grabbed his hand. "Thank you. You didn't have to do this but thank you," she smiled at him. He gave her a smile back before exiting the room.