10

I smiled and talked to customers, getting whatever they needed. Ajax and I waited tables while Allison rang the cashier. The new year brought in some slow business, with another winter blizzard on the way scheduled for tomorrow. The few customers we did have would buy bags of coffee beans or a few sweets. One woman came in with her daughter and picked out a few cakes and a hot chocolate.

Ajax and I stayed away from each other during our shift, always on opposite ends of something. Whether that be a table or a person we were never close to each other during that shift. My shift ended early than Ajax that day so I was able to go to the salon appointment that I had scheduled that morning. Ever since Sofie had brought up that I should dye my hair gray, that and Hawk were the only two things I could think about.

I walked into the salon and let them wash my hair and cut it slightly. Once I was done my hair was completely gray, making my blue eyes pop even more. I hid my hands in the brown sweater as another customer walked in behind me. I looked at my gray shoes as I waited for the woman to charge me for her services.

"Nice hair." They laughed, standing right next to me at the counter.

I looked up at them and my eyes widened.

"W-What are you doing here?! Aren't you supposed to be in France?!" I asked, looking up at the tall man in wonder.

"Yeah but...It's too French there." The man smiled before leaning down towards me and grabbing my chin, lifting it up so I could look at it.

"Axel..." I whispered, turning fully around and lifting my head up.

But when I finally pushed myself away from the counter and lifted my head, no one was there. A lump in my throat started to build up as the woman handed me back her card. I couldn't even form words out of my mouth so I just walked away from her, taking my card from her hand. I hurriedly opened the door and walked out of the cafe, trying to stop the tears from streaming down my face. Emma had picked me up from the cafe and drove me to the DMV to take my driver's license test.

When I got there I waited for about an hour before going into the testing room. I didn't even take the classes yet I still passed. All of the tests were easy, it was common sense.

After I had gotten my license Emma drove me to a car salesman to buy a gray honda. I had been saving for a long time and not having to pay for rent gave me a lot of extra cash. Also, the factor of I hated shopping and never bought anything helped too. Once I got the car, signed the paperwork, and got the keys I drove to Axel's place in the new car.

Everything in the car was clean and polished, silently I hoped to myself that it would stay that way but I knew that it would be too good to be true. The car ride was silent, only the light hymn of the engine was heard. My anxiety spiked during the car ride though, making my hands grip onto the steering wheel for pure life. My mind raced at the thought of what happened. The last memories of Axel that flowed through my mind made my heart pump so hard that was the only thing I could hear. I pulled to the side of the road at a gas station, parking my car before getting out and walking towards the store. My eyes were glued to the sidewalk as I walked down the streets.

I stood in front of the store, just standing on the sidewalk. I honestly didn't know what I was going with myself. I didn't even know where I was going because of it. Calling someone for help isn't weak or pathetic, it just means you need help. Even knowing that some part of me wouldn't allow myself to go through with it. My hands brushed against the steering wheel as I pulled to a red light, just making my anxiety shoot up more. The more red lights I sat threw made my car ride longer which isn't what I wanted. Once I was about a street away from Hawk's apartment I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled my car to the side of the road and crawled over on the passenger's side, my nerves completely shot.