sixteen

My hands land on my hips as I stop running, trying to catch my breath while I watch Shawn stop a few steps ahead of me and come back to see if I’m okay. He hands me his water bottle and I drink almost the whole thing before we start running again. I had started running with him after school, but I always got tired before he did because he’s been doing this for so long. We just came back from the weekend at his grandparents’ house last night and the plan is for us to talk to my dad and Ella later once my dad gets home from work. We’re both kind of nervous but also excited at the idea of not having to hide anymore. When we reach our street, we make our way back to the house just walking, which I also can barely do at this point. We go straight to the kitchen because we’re out of water and I drink half of a bottle from the fridge before handing it to Shawn and sitting up on the counter. I reach for my feet and take off my running shoes that are hurting me, throwing them by the door before tilting my head up and closing my eyes. My hands are on each side of me as my legs hang from the kitchen counter, my breathing regulating after a while.

 “ Remind me why I started doing this again?” I ask when I open my eyes and I find Shawn with his back against the fridge observing me.

 “ Because you wanted to spend more time with me?” Shawn asks with a smirk before reaching for his phone in his pocket. I laugh at his response because he’s definitely not wrong. He’s looking at his phone and typing a text before walking to me and placing his phone behind me on the counter. “ My mom took Layla to buy some stuff she needed for a science project.”

 “ So…?” I whisper as he stands between my thighs, his hands going to my waits almost immediately.

 “ We have the house all for ourselves.” He nods with a smile, making me giggle before his lips meet mine.

 My hands travel to his neck and I run my fingers through his hair as he kisses me hard, moving his hands to my thighs and making me wrap my legs around his torso. He moves one hand back to my hips, then under my t-shirt, running it up my back and making me shiver. His kisses move from my lips to my jawline, then slowly to my neck until my head rolls back in pleasure from his teeth working on my skin. A low moan leaves my lips and I open my eyes for a second to watch the exact moment my dad appears at the kitchen door. In an attempt to make Shawn stop and process what my dad just saw, I end up pushing a glass bowl that was next to me on the counter, making it land on the floor and breaking it in a hundred glass shards.

 “ Shit.” Shawn says as he pulls away from me, looking at the damage I just made before finally noticing my dad standing by the kitchen door with a look of surprise and confusion on his face.

 “ Dad, this is…” I start to explain whatever he saw, forgetting about the glass and stepping down from the counter only to scream in pain when I feel a shard cutting my bare feet.

 “ Mila!” Shawn gasps in surprise, trying to hold me as I wince in pain. My dad doesn’t say a thing, walking to us and to see if I’m okay. 

 I feel tears rolling down my face from the pain and also because of the blood that I can see on the floor. I don’t even register the words that they’re both saying, just letting Shawn help me back on top of the counter as my dad takes the first aid kit from the cabinet. I try to breathe through my tears as my dad carefully removes the glass shard from my feet and cleans up the blood while Shawn cleans the kitchen floor. Shawn stands next to me once he’s done, taking my hand squeezing it as I wince from my dad still trying to make the bleeding stop. I guess there’s no point in hiding anything after what he just saw, so I rest my head against Shawn’s shoulder as I try to forget the pain.

 “ Oh my god! What happened?” I lift my head when I hear Ella’s voice, watching her and Layla walk to us. There's a lot of blood at this point, so it looks pretty bad.