Ch: 18

When the black tentacle fiercely swung itself precisely hitting the weakened cracks, Skulker dropped the shield quickly and his arm popped out an electric, buzzing sword in his opposite arm as the incoming appendage came too close to him. He felt the wind blowing his face as the sword stabbed through the leathery, black skin. Black ooze splattered and gushed out of the tear Skulker pierced, covering him in its residue. He closed his eyes quick and tight so none of the substance got into his vision and for a little more protection if to stab it again, he raised his arm over his face. The timing was just perfect as Skulker wanted it to be, and used another attack to slice it once more, hacking through the tough membrane and getting himself bathed in more ooze.

With a dodge to the right, the second missed him by a few inches off his face and sliced the air between them, retreating to the other slashers. Once he wiped the ooze off his face and flicked it off his arm to rid the rest, Skulker began to search the other tendrils, needing the signs of tears in any of them and possible burn marks from the guns. There were small slices lining the head and body on the four bunch, and some burnt spots dotting a couple of them, nearly visible to the naked eye.

Do to his disappointment, he saw no other weak points in neither other limb for an easier target, much like the other, so the defense with have to do for now. And thinking through possible solutions to enable him another victory, it was a chance for one appendage to react in offense and lash itself at the robotic ghost. It raised its height towards the starlight sky, straightening the end of its slimy skin at a point like a spear, prepared for an aerial attack above its conjecturing witness.

Skulker had just a minute to notice the sharp point coming at him. Jack, on the other hand, spotted the dark snake going towards Skulker. In an instant, he grabbed a weapon similar to a cat o’ nine tails called the Jack o’ Nine Tails out and whipped the ends at the tendril, latching onto the leathery skin. The thin cables wrapped around it and produced jolts of green electricity. Since the limb couldn’t stop its charging, it swung back when the nine metal ropes connected to it and went into the ground, taking along the currents that began to fry it.

Jack glanced at Skulker and smirked at the surprised expression. “Watch out next time, mechanical ghost guy.”

Skulker rolled his eyes, but accepted the advice and gave a sly grin. “Yeah… Thanks, but that’s not likely to happen again. And the name’s Skulker, by the way, not 'Mechanical Ghost Guy'.”

Checking around for the other defenders to see if they’re handling the others well, he saw Maddie rolling to one side after the second whipped the spot she stood and raised itself to inflict another slash in her direction again. Before the large man had to utter another word, both he and Skulker heard a small scream pierce through the air and he turned his head to where it came from. Jack saw Sam hunching over on one hand and both knees, gritting her teeth as she was trying to pry off the first tentacle’s other half of itself with one hand. Her other held onto her side, and he can see blood spilling out between her fingers.

Jack looked away from Skulker and onto the appendage struggling to get its slender self out of the asphalt, the coil not electrocuting it anymore and hung slightly loose upon the limb. He glanced again back to Skulker, a serious manner plastered his firm face. “I’ll take care of this one.” he said, and retrieved the nine coiled links, “Keep those teens safe from the others so none can do any more damage to them, especially that Sam girl down for the count, will ya?”

Skulker nodded and Jack ran to the arm finally out of the road, giving out a battle cry as he unleashed another electrifying attack. Skulker wasn’t sure how it was possible, having half of the tendril clearly been cut off from the rest of itself by his sword, but he wasn’t going to think about the confusing question as he started to run to Sam’s spot. The bottom half wiggled and shakily tried to hold onto its stance like before, while losing too much black, syrupy liquid to keep itself alive. Pain was clear upon Sam’s pale face and made Skulker think if he could get over there without trouble, the both of them should be fine and Sam can get attention for her wound. But probably if the other appendages could have a chance of hitting him like the first as they block to recover their lord and buddy, he’d better have a strategy and make it quick.