iv. sudden touch

*possible trigger warnings: mature language

"what the hell? does the dumbass not see me here?" alex raged as he leaned forward. the lafd beanie wearing boy pressed his heated chest against the steering wheel with fury as he read the license plate of the red car in front of him.

"alex, don't worr-" arabella began before she was abruptly cut off by more yelling.

in an instant, the cursing driver slammed the palm of his hand against the center of his steering wheel, honking the car horn twice. with his window rolled down, alex stuck his arm out, flexing a solo middle finger outside of his vehicle with a smirk. "watch where you're going, fucker!" the brown-eyed boy thundered loudly.

"oh my god, alex. calm down. have you never gotten cut off before?" the brunette in his passenger seat bellowed before crossing her arms and rolling her hazel colored eyes.

"i had right of way! please, tell me that you saw how that dumbass cut me off!" alex fumed while angrily pointing his hand toward the red car ahead of him.

"alex... calm down. it's fine," arabella cooed. her tone of voice was soft and hushed, throwing the growling lafd beanie wearing driver off guard.

before a confused alex could acknowledge the girl and her strange change of attitude, he felt a small touch brush up against his leg. in an instant, he hitched his breath before glancing downward to see that arabella had gently placed her hand against his knee. then, arabella brushed her hand higher, rubbing alex's knee and lower thigh for reassurance.

beholding the sight of her ivory skin and black painted nails against his blue jeans made his heart race while his stomach was performing cartwheels. inhaling sharply to the sudden touch, he didn't know what to think of it; he could merely hear the gears in his brain begin to turn. this is strictly platonic. she's just trying to be nice. is this her being nice? just nice. no... this cannot be nice. there has to be something more. no, snap out of it. she's just being friendly. the brown-eyed boy quickly diverted his attention back onto the road as his face grew warmer, trying to hide his fluttering insides and conflicted emotions.

"calm down, amor [love]," arabella repeated calmly before picking up her hand, removing it from alex's leg; all she intended was to turn down his road rage.

alex felt a shudder run down his spine from the immediate absence of her touch, his body started to cool down. with a small sigh, the black haired boy mewled, "i'm calm."

"where are we going anyway?" the hazel-eyed girl inquired, trying to change the subject.

"do you have a specific place in mind?" the lafd beanie wearing boy rebuttaled in a sing-song tone.

"not necessarily because-" arabella began.

"good... because it's a surprise. just sit tight," alex retorted before flashing a smile over his shoulder, reassuring the girl in his passenger seat.