Chapter 36

She pointed the gun directly at him and shot.

Everything went in slow-mo once she pulled the trigger of her gun; I pushed Ash out of the way, just in time to feel an eruption of pain from my right side of my lower abdomen. I couldn't hear anything, it was as though my sense of hearing had disappeared. My hand immediately moved to where I felt the pain, and I hissed when I touched it. I glanced at my hand, and it was covered in deep red liquid. The air was knocked out of me, and I fell to the ground in confusion, trying to make sense of what the red liquid was. 

Every movement I made caused the pain from my abdomen to increase, yet I still tried to figure out what the red liquid was. Was it blood? I questioned to myself, and slowly lifted my head to see Margaret who held a look of shock and horror on her face, as the gun slipped from her hands. Did I get shot? I wanted to get up, but I couldn't, at least not without letting my nerve cells transmit a painful feeling all over my body, particularly my stomach area. 

I didn't know why it took me a few moments to figure out I had been shot, and it was blood on my hands, maybe it was because I was in shock, but as soon as my realisation came back to me, so did another wave of pain. I groaned and turned a bit, but it only made the feeling of the bullet inside me, hurt even more. It made me unaware of the tears that rained down my face because of how much the wound stung. Just breathing felt hard.

The noises of my surroundings became louder until my hearing came back to me fully. The noise of the fire alarm rung continuously, and the fire smoke, which obscured my full vision, made me cough. I heard growling, threatening growling that came from Ash who was sat besides my laying-down figure.        "L-Lexi?" He touched me like I was so fragile, and I saw the vulnerability and fright in his eyes before those feelings changed into rage, as did the colour of his eyes.

His eyes, although mesmerising, looked deadly and filled with such rage, and it seemed as though his eyes were a mix between both his vampire and werewolf side. The outline of his orbs were a glistening golden in colour, that looked as though they would glow in the dark, like they were glowing in the smoke. The line of gold merged and changed into the deep ruby-red colour that made me feel obliged to gaze into, and then the outline of his pupil was the colour of pure silver. All three colours of his eyes glowed in the thick smoke in the air. His canines were now elongated into large, sharp canines and the rest of his teeth grew sharper as well, the same as when he was in his wolf form. I blinked and he was already gone.

The first scream that struck the atmosphere sounded like the person who did it, had screamed 'bloody murder'. After his scream, many more filled the air one by one. Lying on the ground, I couldn't see anything happening because of the smoke; I could only hear scream after scream, amongst the blaring fire alarm. I turned my head, and saw the quick blur of a moving figure, which was Ash, and saw how he grabbed a guard, who screamed in fright but stopped when Ash sunk his teeth into the guards neck, killing him instantly.

I heard the constant vibrations of the guards running around the room, because my head rested on the ground. I tried to sit up, as I feared that someone that was running, would step on my body or head. I kept my hand on my bullet injury as I hauled myself enough to sit up, and winced repeatedly although I tried my best to ignore the pounding pain I felt. Blood soaked all of the bottom of the white shirt I wore, and because of that, the shirt stuck to my body like a second skin. 

The sound of trudging feet came closer to me, and I saw Henry through the smoke, dragging his legs to move towards me. He had claw marks that had ripped through the clothing of his shirt around his arms and abdominals, and deep scratches on one of his legs, which explained his dragging. I saw the gun that shined in his hand, and his weak, bleeding arm held it up, to shoot me, even though I had already been shot. "You pathetic girl," He sounded croaky, "Times up-"