Chapter 9

Recap:

Everything felt as though it was going so slow in that moment...my heart beat was too fast, my breath was coming out rapidly in small amounts and sweat was trickling slowly down my back.

I could only dread what would happen in the next few seconds.....

~~~

The elevator doors had opened to the point where I could make out the tips of one of the guards sandy blonde hair. We were going to get caught, then Ash would most likely get taken.

I couldn't even think, because I was so panicked.

I took a quick glance at Ash, only now realising that his eyes had changed to what looked like two mesmerising blood-red rubies. They were bright and glowing, a strong contrast to what seemed like a dimly lit elevator.

I saw how his shoulders were tensed, and his jaw was clenched rather painfully. He grabbed my waist within a second, and I blinked, only to see that we were no longer in the elevator. I felt a feeling of all the air getting knocked out of me, and had to take deep greedy breaths, in time to see that we were at the other end of the hallway, hidden by one of the walls from the two security guards that were now entering the elevator that we were just in. 

Wait a minute...hold up...what?

How did we get from the elevator to the other end of the hallway, without one, getting caught and two, so fast? Okay well I kind of suspected that it was Ash since his eyes did the changing thingy majig, so how fast was the guy? I mean the guards didn't even catch a glimpse of either of us.

I decided that I shouldn't confront him about the whole speed thing, but still pondered on it. Right now, my biggest focus was getting to that other restricted floor as soon as possible.

~~~

We successfully reached the floor without getting caught. Of course there were a couple more times where Ash used his speed  to dodge a few security guards, but other than that, we were good. I was assuming that most of the guards and Dr Turner were still searching in the higher floors, because there weren't that many of them around the other floors.

However, Ash looked quite drained now, so we had to move in a slower pace.

We managed to make it to the last elevator that lead to the two floors, although it took longer than I anticipated, but we were there. I was desperate and curious to see what made the floor so secured and restricted and why only a few scientists, the seniors I'm guessing, were permitted to enter.

There came the all too familiar 'ding' of the elevator, signalling that we had now arrived. The doors opened, allowing a strong light to fall upon us, as though we were in some holy part of a movie. After blinking several times, I managed to re-focus on my surroundings.  

When I saw the floor that Ash was in, I thought the other floor would be the same, with the grey walls and dark tones, not this.

I stepped out of the elevator, curious to see what was in here. The ceiling of the library was really high, and I mean really, and held pictures and tapestry of different centuries. It's bright colours showed a background of destruction and fire and there were people, who looked as though they were nobles, that were torturing others, that seemed less wealthy and powerful. The people, though they were being tortured, were all beautiful, with painted glossy hair, and unique eye colours, some similar to Ash. The nobles looked as though they had a look of disgust on their faces, and some of them, well most of them, had white lab coats on.