CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: THE HIGHEST BIDDER

I sit on the floor of my cell with my hands wrapped around my knees. The sweat from the stifling heat makes my clothes stick on my body and I feel like I can't breathe.

From time to time I get up and take walks to get un numb, but I have no idea how many hours or days have passed.

The Mandalorian never showed up again, not that I want him to show up. The last words he said to me about the Darksaber hurt me. But maybe he's right. I have no idea about the Darkseber's story. And all I had time to learn from Cal was that it belonged to a Mandalorian.

A servant is on his way to my cell. He keeps a plate of food and as he passes in front of the other cells the occupants shout that they too want to eat. The servant ostentatiously ignores them. He gets to my cell and leaves the plate in front of me. It's the most disgusting food I've ever seen in my life. Including even the food I had tried to cook the first time, I lived alone in Jalysta after I left Andor and Enda's house.

«What is that?» I'm asking in disgust.

«Food. Gardulla Besadii the Elder said you must eat.» the servant responds and turns around.

I'm jumping up and approach the door of my cell. «Wait!!!»

The servant stops and turns to look at me.

«Any news about the Council?» I'm whispering.

«I'm not allowed to»

«I'm not gonna tell anyone. Please.»

The servant approaches me, looking around. «The Council just finished.»

«And?»

«If they find out I told you they'll take my head.»

«No one's listening.»

«They'll give you to the highest bidder.» the servant responds and walks away.

I'm staying silent trying to figure it out. "To the highest bidder". That only means one thing.

«Are you gonna eat that?» a male voice shouts from a distant cell, about thirty feet away.

«No.»

«You must be a very important person to be given food.»

«Nope. I'm not.»

«That was a lie.»

«It wasn't. I am nobody.»

«I heard your little conversation with the Mandalorian yesterday young lady you're a Viszla.»

I'm not answering. He seems to already know enough about me. I wouldn't want him to know any more. Being a Hutt prisoner means he's trouble.

«I'll take that as a yes.»

«I'll give you the food if you shut up!!!» I respond annoyed.

A head appears on the railings of his cell. A man with brown hair.

«That is a good deal. I'll owe you a favor. I'm Bandon Skard. Smuggler.»

«You look like a smuggler.»

Bandon Skard smiles cheerfully. «Thank you.»

«That wasn't a compliment!!!»

Bandon reached his hand outside of the cell. «So?»

I bend over and take the solid food off the plate. It looks like a rock, but I guess one that you can chew. Or not. Well, I wouldn't try. But Bandon Skard seems willing to eat it. He must be really hungry to want to eat this thing so badly.