CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN: A PLEA TO FATE

The rest of my days in the infirmary passed quickly. I almost didn't believe I was being discharged. My body had recovered quickly. The pain had disappeared and now only the bruises, which were slowly fading, were the only remaining proof of what happened to me.

Now, I'm in my room. Dad was on a mission with Bo-Katan, Koska, and Ax, and wherever they would come back for the swearing-in.

Before they left Bo-Katan had given me the vows. It was in Mando'a, the language of the Mandalorians. And it was difficult, very difficult.

Someone knocks on the door and I go to open. Aiden and Cal stand on the doorstep. Their faces are lit by smiles and look impatient.

«Ready?» Aiden asks.

«The ceremony is at night.» I say confused.

«We know that. But you have to prepare your armor.» Cal explains.

«Ah, yeah.» I say as I remember that I had forgotten to visit the Armorer. The Armorer belonged to the Children of the Watch and was the one that forged dad's armor. It was to her that Bo-Katan had commissioned the forging of mine.

I follow Aiden and Cal to the Armorer.

«You're late.» the woman behind the golden armor says curtly.

I don't respond. Dad explained that this is how she talks to everyone and that I shouldn't take it personally.

«Have you decided?»

«No.» I confess.

«According to the Creed, you must choose the color of your armor and the Clan that you will declare your devotion. Each color has its own meaning. Gray and Silver symbolize the lamentation for a lost love. Red symbolizes homage to a parent or leader. Black for Justice. Gold for Revenge. Green for Duty. Blue for Dignity and Orange for Will to Live. Choose the color of your armor carefully. It is the armor that will accompany you for the rest of your life. Look inside you before you decide.»

I stay skeptical but only one color trivializes my mind. Grey and Silver. Not for me. Dad chose that color for his armor to pay homage to mom. He has never forgotten.

But what color should I choose? What expresses me?

«Red.» I say after thinking it thoroughly. «I chose red.»

«Are you certain?»

«Yes.»

«And for the Clan? Have you decide?»

«Yes.» I answer right away. I've made that decision days ago.

«I hope you make the right decision.» Bo-Katan told me.

«And which is it?»

«What does your heart tell you?»

I knew for a long time what my decision was. And now that it's time to announce it to someone for the first time, I don't feel any hesitation.

The sun was rapidly setting on the horizon and I was getting ready. I rehearsed my vows over and over again but I was afraid I would say the words wrong. I had worn the leather jumpsuit on which the armor would rest and I was walking up and down trying to memorize the vows when I heard a knock on my door.

As I open the door I see Ozdo.

«Ready?» he asks.

«Are they back?»

«Yes. Bo-Katan asked me to call you.»

I draw a deep breath. «Okay.» I say full of worry.

«What's the matter?»

«What if... what if I'm not worthy of that armor?»

Ozdo takes my hands into his and holds them tenderly. «If you didn't deserve it, you wouldn't get it. You deserve that armor more than anyone. Shall we go now?»

I nod and follow him. I expected he would take me to the conference room but we passed the gate and head to the arena that was set up for the Trials. All the seats are occupied, and among the crowd, I spot Aiden, Cal, and Dad.

Bo-Katan is waiting for me in the middle of the arena. Next to her stands the Armorer.

Ozdo leaves me at the entrance of the arena and goes to sit next to Cal and Aiden.

As I approach Bo-Katan she nods to me with a faint smile engraved on her face.

«We gathered here tonight to deliver the armor to this girl. State your name.»

«Keirah Djarin, of house Djarin.» I respond.

«And your Clan?»

I take a deep breath as I turn my eyes to the seats. My eyes are focusing on the person I will from now call my leader. «Madhorn!!!»

As I turn my gaze back to Bo-Katan she nods. I know she would like me to pledge my loyalty to her Clan, but I can clearly see in her face that she doesn't mind. For me, Clan Madhorn was my only choice.

«Strength is life» Bo-Katan begins.

«For the strong have the right to rule.» I complete the rest of the sentence.

«Honor is life...»

«For with no honor, one may as well be dead.» I continue.

I sit steel as I say my words. In each sentence, the Armorer places a piece of armor on me.«Loyalty is life...»

«For without one's clan, one has no purpose.»

«Death is life...»

«One should die as they have lived.» I say and as I finish my sentence I realize that my armor, the armor that once belonged to my mother, is on me. Every piece of my now red armor is on me, except for the helmet. The Armorer adds the last piece of bescar to my arm. The emblem of Clan Madhorn.

Bo-Katan nods at me and I bend my knee. One knee rests on the ground and I bow my head down as I try to concentrate. But my vow comes to mind so naturally that I make no effort whatsoever.

«Ba'jur, beskar'gam,

Ara'nov, aliit,

Mando'a bal Mand'alor—

An vencuyan mhi.»

Ozdo had explained to me what these words meant. And as I utter them, I don't just say the words in Mando'a. I mean everything I say: Education and armor. Self-defense. The Clan. Our language. The Leader.

All the things in which I swear allegiance. All those things that will bind me to this armor for the rest of my life.

«You came to us as an ordinary girl.» Bo-Katan says. «Now rise as a Mandalorian Keirah Djarin, of Clan Madhorn!!!»

I feel something being placed on my head and a helmet covers my head. As I get up I feel complete. Bo-Katan looks at me with restrained pride. «May you live in the way of Mandalore and make the predecessors of this armor proud. This is the Way.»

«This Is The Way.» I respond.

«THIS IS THE WAY!!!» all those who are in the arena respond with one voice.

I turn to my people in the arena. Dad, Aiden, Cal, and Ozdo look at me from their seats, smiling at me. They look proud of me. And so do I. I wonder how young Keirah would feel if she was told that one day she would become a real Mandalorian. That she would wear her mother's armor, with her father looking at her with pride. Surrounded by friends, allies, and a leader who would follow her even to death. I feel proud to be one of them. But it's not the armor that makes you a Mandalorian. It is the Creed by which you live. And now I have to live according to it. I suppose I will succeed, after all, I have managed quite a few more difficult things so far. I'm not afraid. Because now... I am a Mandalorian!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~