CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: THE BATTLE OF BILBOUSA

The higher we go, the closer the sound of the battle reaches us. And my heart beats harder and louder as I move forward.

The Mandalorian doesn't slow down his step. He moves carefully, checking every corridor.

The signs of the battle are obvious. The Palace looks like a dump. Every wall is a mile-long blaster, and dead bodies are lying everywhere.

«This way.» the Mandalorian says.

We seem to be moving away from the battlefield and when we end up reaching our destination I see that we are on a terrace at the highest point of the palace.

«You were supposed to get us out of here.» I'm pointing out, confused.

«And that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Hold on tight.»

«Hold on tight? What's that supposed to mean?»

I barely finish my sentence when he grabs me by the hand and we fall into the void with me screaming. I see the marshes coming or we're getting close to them, and I know we're about to hit the ground. But that never happens. The Mandalorian wraps his arm around my waist and his jetpack fires up and a few seconds later we find ourselves unharmed on the ground.

«You could have warned me.» I'm protesting while catching my breath.

«I told you to hold on.» he responds curtly.

«Literally two seconds before you dropped us into the void. Without a warning!!!»

«Let's go.»

«Where's your ship?»

«I don't have one.»

«Are you kidding me? And how are we supposed to get off the planet?»

«They'll come get us.»

I'm freezing on my spot looking at him suspiciously. «Who's coming?»

«The one who will decide to whom the Darksaber belongs to. Its previous owner.»

I'm taking out my blaster and aim at him without a second thought. «You're working for Gideon!!!»

The Mandalorian takes off his blaster and points at me. «I'm not working for anyone. Especially for an Imp rat, like Gideon. Now lower your blaster. You promised me you would follow me. If I worked for Gideon I wouldn't have given you a choice. Trust goes both ways.»

I slowly lower my blaster but then I see a shadow running towards us. «Get down.» I yell.

He gets on the ground with no hesitation and I'm blasting the bounty hunter. A tracking cadet beats fast as I'm approaching him.

«We've got to get out of here. We cannot wait.»

«My people are coming.»

«We cannot wait, don't you get it?»

«Any idea about how are we gonna do that?»

«We'll steal a ship. The entire city is coming this way. No one's gonna stay at the docks. Let's go.»

***

The closer we get to the Palace, the louder we can hear the sound of the battle which seems to have been carried out of the building. Thousands of people seem to have gathered and the battle is getting fierce.

I have no idea how we're going to get in there, let alone find Keirah.

«Get your blaster out.» Cal says and I can tell he is as worried as I am.