Do You Miss Them

It's February 23rd, 2017. Steven Briggs, a seventeen year old boy and heir to the Terra throne, is in the kitchen making breakfast for him and his father. Steve sits down for a break exhausted.

Steve: Man, this really is a lot harder than it seems. I'm not gonna lie, I don't give the cooks half as much credit as they deserve, and this is just breakfast. I can't believe they actually do this for us three times a day.

After five minutes that felt like nothing more than a quick second, Steve checks the time on the clock that rested on the wall over the exit of the kitchen.

Steve: Woah! It's eight thirty?! Dad sets his alarm for nine all the time! Ok, Steve, you can do this, but you have to hurry. It's about time to shift into fourth gear here.

For the next thirty minutes, Steve would cook as fast as he could without ruining any of the food. He finished with not even thirty seconds to spare, and before he knew it, Jack would be walking down to the dining room which led to the kitchen. Upon entering the kitchen, he saw his son covered in egg, flour, milk, and more that he wasn't even going to try to name off.

Jack: Well, what do you have cooking here young man?

Steve: I just wanted to give fixing breakfast a try. I just didn't realize it was this difficult. How do chefs do this three times a day and every day at that?

Jack: They're trained to do that, my boy. That's why we pay them after all, but I admire your determination to try. I have to admit, everything here seems as delicious as any cook could've fixed it. I see you've got eggs, sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, and... an insane amount of biscuits and gravy.

Steve: Ummmmmm, you can have some if you want. I just figured that it wouldn't be the dumbest thing ever to fix a lot of what's clearly the best item, right?

Jack: Hehe, your mother used to love it more than anything.. I'm not surprised you do..

Steve: Oh.. I didn't mean to bring any painful thoughts...

Jack: What? No, no.. it's fine.. you did no such thing.. it just got my gears turning a bit is all... Well.. what're we waiting for? Let's eat!

Steve: I thought you'd never ask!

Steve and Jack begin to dig in to every last piece of bacon and every little scrambled egg and piece of biscuits covered in gravy on the table. By the time they were done, there was hardly anything left to even consider it leftovers. Jack and Steve both leaned back in their chairs stuffed like pigs.

Jack: Man, Steve, I gotta give to ya. That might be one of the best breakfasts I have ever had.

Steve: I'm just glad that it didn't turn out as bad as I was expecting it to.

Jack: Yeah, it wasn't bad in the slightest bit. The only bad part is with how much we ate, we probably need to start running or else we're gonna end up being as fat as cows. Better yet, we'll have a race. How's that sound?

Steve: A race, huh? Hmmm.... Sounds good to me!

Jack: Haha! Alright then. Go get some clothes that aren't covered in breakfast crap and I'll meet you at the running track, ok?

Steve: Alright. I'll be there in about ten minutes.

Steve got on his usual green hood and brown pants and went to meet his father at the track.

Jack: You really sure you want to even be running with me? I can't imagine how embarrassing it would be for your old and decrepit father to beat you on something like a running track!

Steve: Oh please! You couldn't beat me in a race if your life depended on it! I'm surprised you even had the courage to propose this as a challenge!

Jack: Hey now, you'd be surprised as to just how good of shape your old man's in. Come on then. On the count of three... One.. Two... Three!

Both Steve and Jack ran the whole mile long track until at the last stretch, Jack managed to boost himself ahead of Steve to a point that it could've even been considered a convincing beat. The two stopped both out of breath but laughing at the same time.

Jack: What was that you were saying about not being able to beat you?

Steve: Fine, I guess you are a bit faster than I was expecting you to be. My only question is how were you able to suddenly speed up like that?

Jack: What can I say? I've got a talent for proving people wrong one way or another.

Steve: Haha, very funny. Hey Dad... can I ask you something?

Jack: Sure, son. What is it?

Steve: Do you miss them...