Prologue

Disclaimer - I do not own PJO or HOO. All rights to our dear Uncle Rick.

---

The moonlight guide the twelve years old girl as she ran through the forest, chasing the monster she had been hunting for months now. Her long auburn hair was tied into a braid behind her back and her surprisingly silver eyes studied her surrounding as she stopped suddenly. 

Her bow was at the ready as she gently notched an arrow onto her bow, pulling the string back swiftly. She let go of the string she was holding as the arrow finds its mark on the monster's back, yet, it seems to do no damage. 

The girl gasped at the arrow before quickly notching another arrow and releasing it without a second thought. The same thing happened. Her silver hunting knives were out in an instant as she rushed forward elegantly, jumping off the tree she was previously in, swiping at the monster's left leg. This time though, the knives cut through the monster's thick skin. But it wasn't enough, only drawing some black blood. 

Before the girl could process this, her sense made her dodge just in time before the monster's huge claw swing above her head. She quickly climbed up to her feet again as she quickly stood up once more, diving in to kill. Yet the monster was smarter than most, turning as its bloodthirsty eyes to meet the girls, for the first time in millennia, sending shivers down her spines. 

It growls at her, showing its pointy teeth with fabric sticking on some of it as if it tears through clothing before developing its victim. Before the girl can do anything, the monster pounce on her, pinning her on the ground as it kicked her weapons out of the way, its mouth wide open as sticky gooey slime-like saliva dripped down onto the girl's silver hunting clothes, causing a look of disgust to cross her face. 

Before she could think of anything else the monster was thrown off her as a silver trident buried itself into the monster's head, causing the monster to growls in pain. The girl quickly goes up to her feet once more, rushing toward her knives with inhuman speed as she threw one of the knives, hitting its eyes as the monster fell dead instantly. 

A man walked out of the shadow. He has raven black hair with a neatly trimmed black beard, a deep tan, and sea-green eyes that were surrounded by sun-crinkles that told one he was prone to smiling. A trident was embedded onto the armor he was wearing made of Olympus gold as he holds up his hand, the trident flying back to its owner. 

"Poseidon," the twelve years old girl greeted with a nod of her head as the man, now known as Poseidon nod back to the young girl.

"Artemis."

"What are you doing here Poseidon," Artemis asked as she shoulders her bow and made her hunting knives disappeared. "I don't remember hearing you hunt for fun."

"I can ask you the same niece," Poseidon countered as he straightens out his armor looking at Artemis' hunting clothes, making her realized the monster saliva on it. She quickly snapped her fingers once more, cleaning the clothes. "Why are you hunting in the middle of the night? Without your hunters no less."

"Don't bring my hunters into this," Artemis growled at Poseidon as her eyes flashed dangerously. "The only matter we need to discuss now, uncle, is that I don't need your help. I was doing perfectly fine."

"Doesn't look like it to me," Poseidon shrugged casually as he leaned against the tree, studying his niece who gritted her teeth as Poseidon continued. "And since I saved you, I believe you owe me."

"I owe you nothing," Artemis said through gritted teeth as she clung her fist tightly. 

"According to my eyes, I saved you, so you do," Poseidon countered as Artemis slowly uncurled her fists, sighing but her eyes still flashing dangerously. 

"So if I do owe you, what do you want me to do?"

"First, swear on the river Styx you won't tell anyone what I tell you," Poseidon decided as Artemis swore to his term. Poseidon took a deep breath as he finally said. "I need you to look after my son."

Artemis froze in her spot. The forest seems to freeze with her as the air around them was quiet and no wind was blowing. All is still and quiet. "Yo- your son?"

Poseidon slowly nodded. "His aura is strong for someone so young. So please help me look after him, he deserves a chance in a normal life."

"You want me to look after a male," Artemis stated with a look of disgust on her face as she shook her head. "Ask me to do anything else."

"It's my only request," Poseidon pleaded. "You just have to look after him, nothing else. Just checking up on him every once in a while."

"Fine," Artemis huffed as she dusts herself off. "And since I'm watching him, I might as well do it correctly."

"Thank you, Artemis," Poseidon flashed her a quick smile before flashing away. Artemis sighed as she ran back the way she came, wondering what she got herself into. 

---

AN: Yea, I should probably focus on other stories I'm writing but I can't help it! This idea just struck me and I have to write it... It's a pertemis story by the way.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Stay safe - Kathy