Chapter 4

Cassie stood in front of the firmly shut metal door, trying to make sense of everything that had been going on for the past few hours.

She placed a hand on her forehead, feeling a desperate need for the soothing effect of alcohol. Her three weeks sobriety be damned.

The sound of footsteps distracted her from her thoughts and she turned to face Logan who had made his way to the only bed in the room and settled on it.

He had some nerve.

"Cassie..." He started with a quiet voice which she knew was only aimed at deceiving her.

He always appeared nice and charming when he wanted something.

Logan was manipulative. He'd outsmarted her more times than she could count. But now that the scales had fallen off her eyes, she could see him for who he was.

"The person responsible for all of this is going to be here soon. He's going to want to negotiate, ask for money, or whatever the hell it is he wants from us..." He paused again, with a questioning glance, to assess if she was listening.

A flip of her long, jet black hair was all she offered.

"I want you to stay quiet while I deal with him. We are not going to achieve anything by you being nasty to everyone here. Is that clear?" He asked in conclusion.

Who the hell did he think he was to give her instructions? 

She'd had enough of him. She needed to deal with his irking ego. She needed to show him that she was a strong woman, free from the claws of his control.

These were the only thoughts in Cassie's head when she took quick steps towards the bed. With all her might, she pulled him off it, causing him to land on the ground. Unfortunately, he'd held her and the effect of his weight pulled her along.

It all happened in a split second. But the moments that she was on top of him, their eyes locked on one another, with his arms around her felt like ages.

Cassie got up immediately and smoothened her dress. There was a frown on her face to mask her state of confusion.

"What was that for?" Logan complained, heavily stunned as he picked himself up from the hard concrete floor.

She folded her hands across her chest. "What makes you think the only bed in the room should rightly belong to you?"

The blonde man in front of her gasped, owing to his confusion and frustration. "Cassie, why are you hell-bent on being unreasonable? I was literally talking about how we can get the fuck out of here but you're more interested in the bed? The friggin' bed?" He stared at her, stupefied.

She rolled her eyes and strutted towards the bed. A price she'd won.

"You know what? You can have the bed, you can have the room, you can have every-fucking-thing! I'm tired of trying to reason with you. I'm tired of trying to find the woman that I loved and got married to. She doesn't exist anymore." He took a deep breath.

Turning away from her, he stamped his foot as he walked towards the door.

Cassie did not reply but only sat there, her face devoid of expression. She watched him struggle with his camouflage of being cool and perfect, wondering how long it would last.

Apparently, it didn't last.

Logan frustratedly and ceaselessly started to bang on the metal door with his clenched fists.

Cassie sat there watching him hurt himself. The sound was disturbing and deafening. She needed to be out of here. She desperately needed a drink.

"Stop bothering me!" Came a voice from the other side of the door. It most likely belonged to Flame.