Chapter 7

6th June 2019
8:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cassie maintained a crouching position at an extreme of the dimly lit room while Logan was at the other end. It was obvious they were trying to get as far away from each other as possible, but there was a little result for their effort given the present situation.

She had no idea how long she'd stayed that way before the sound of the door creaking open had summoned her attention and she looked up to watch Flame strut in.

"Hello!" Flame greeted as the door was shut.

Cassie turned slightly so she could catch a glimpse of Logan who sat there, staring into space, looking worn out. She felt the same way.

Seeing as neither of them was going to reply to the casual greeting, Flame proceeded. "I might've heard someone call out my name a while ago."

Cassie grimaced. If only Flame had been useful enough to respond, a lot would've been avoided. But it seemed like this was all part of the plan. To get them both as defenseless and vulnerable as possible.

"Can I get a drink?" Cassie asked with a sigh.

Flame smiled to irk her further. "What would you be needing a drink for?"

"To fucking cope in this place," Cassie yelled.

"Hey. Take it easy, woman," Flame suggested as they made the gun they were holding more visible.

Cassie chuckled, wondering if she hadn't done enough to show everyone present that the last thing she was scared of was dying.

"I know something better than alcohol..." Flame started and paused, most likely to assess that they were both listening.

Logan had still not moved an inch, but Cassie nudged her to speak on maybe because she genuinely wanted that information.

"Communication."

Cassie rolled her eyes at Flame's words, unable to conceal her disappointment.

"Don't you ever get tired of drowning your sorrows? What is so wrong with letting your emotions out?"

"And don't you ever get tired of being a fucking bully? What is so wrong with getting a decent job?" Cassie scoffed.

Flame smiled and she hated it so much that she'd not for once succeeded at provoking them. It was infuriating.

"You are sometimes very amusing." They took slow steps forward. "You remind me so much of her."

Cassie quirked her brows, wondering who she was referring to.

It seemed as though Flame was about to continue their speech, but was cut short as the door swung open and a blonde-haired woman, all dressed up in black leather pants, a leather jacket, and knee-high boots had walked right in.

Logan sat up with his mouth hanging open. "Natasha?" He asked, probably as taken aback by her fierce appearance as Cassie was.

"What are you doing here?" Flame asked.

Natasha glared at Flame and took bold steps towards them. She got so close that their bodies were almost in contact. "I need you to leave," she managed the words in between heavy breaths.

Flame exhaled and raised their hands in surrender. "Fine," they said before taking one last glance at the confused couple and walked out.

"What is going on?" Logan asked, getting up.