Chapter 1.5

18th March 1995

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He had not ceased talking about her all through the short drive and it was beginning to get on Logan's last nerves.

"We're here!"

Logan finally tore his eyes away from the newspaper he was pretending to read and faced the boy that grinned from ear to ear as he brought his car to a halt, amidst the other cars in the driveway of the frat house.

"James, I still think this is a bad idea," Logan said with a sigh wondering what could be so exciting about two socially awkward teenage boys attending a party with college students. However, James, his best friend who was indefatigable and could not be refused, had half dragged him here.

James maintained the smile on his face as he brushed his hair, applied powder, and smacked his lips, after applying a lip balm, ignoring his friend who watched him like he was a screen in a cinema.

"You know what is a bad idea?" James asked. Before Logan could reply, he'd snatched the newspaper from his unsuspecting hands and tossed it out of the window. "Reading that is a bad idea. No one does that anymore. Not when there are things called; parties, girls, booze!"

Logan rolled his eyes.

"So, how do I look?"

"Like James. How else are you supposed to look?" He wondered for the umpteenth time why his best friend was going through so many lengths for this random party. He had a theory.

Logan was not expecting the smack on his arm. "You're annoying, you know that, right?" James complained. "Anyway, this is the big secret. Wait for it..." He made a drum roll on his car's dashboard, causing his friend to facepalm. "You're finally going to meet my girlfriend!"

"That is the big secret you've not let me hear the last of for one week?" Logan looked even more bored. He had guessed right.

Nothing else could make James act like this, except the girl he'd been literally obsessed with for the few months since she'd moved to this side of town.

She was all he talked about all the time. Almost to the point that it completely irritated him, but he'd not say anything to avoid hurting James' feelings.

Maybe it was about time he met the girl who'd gotten his friend completely smitten or possibly in love — if anything like that, existed.

They got out of the car after James had brushed his hair a hundred more times, used his mouth spray, applied three different body sprays, and earned a thousand eye rolls from his friend.

"I mean, she's already your girlfriend. You can at least stop acting like you're treading on eggshells," he complained as they made their way into the house.

"I am treading on eggshells, Logan and once you see her, you'd understand why," he said nervously, throwing away his playful nature as soon as they crossed the doorway into the house that was echoing with deafening music.

"Whatever." Logan could not imagine himself putting in so much effort for a girl. Then again, maybe it was because girls threw themselves at him on a platter. Attractive and brainy was a dangerous combination and could easily make way through any female's skirt.

James grabbed two plastic cups and handed one to him. "You don't have to drink, you just need it to act like you're cool," he said raising his voice so Logan could hear him as they made their way through the crowd of sweaty bodies, dancing and having what they presumed to be fun.