Chapter 5.5

27th September 1995

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dear Lord, if this is false, I promise I'll never take another drop of alcohol in my entire life till the day I die."

Cassie was seated on the toilet seat, drenched in sweat with quivering lips, trembling hands, and tearful eyes. It was as though a drum-set had found its way into her chest.

She took out the stick she'd peed on, whispering her silent prayers.

Her eyes widened at the sight of the results. It appeared it was almost too late for prayers.

She was fucked!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cassie sat in the gynecologist's waiting room. She was fidgeting and puffing out air.

That test had to be wrong.

This could not be happening to her.

She was supposed to be at a modeling job and not at a hospital. She'd impulsively run here to find a solution to her problem because she didn't know what else to do.

Logan had disappeared, James was unwilling to see her let alone talk. She could not blame him. What she'd done was simply unforgivable.

Cassie was all alone. She felt so scared.

She rubbed her hand over her belly. Could there really be a life inside? It all felt like a nightmare she was desperate to wake up from.

She took a look around, to see the other women in the room. Most of them were staring back at her. Their cold, judgmental and disdainful glances augmented the pain in her chest.

Cassie could not take it anymore. She got up and hurried out in desperate need of some air.

"Hi." Cassie heard someone call her from behind as soon as she got out of the hospital.

She paused and turned slowly to face someone she never thought she'd see again.

The woman was strikingly beautiful with long black hair and green eyes. She was quite tall and slender and bore no expression on her face.

"I'm Logan's mother," she said.

She needn't have. Cassie could not forget the face that had tormented her for the past few months.

"Hi," she replied after mustering enough courage.

"What were you visiting the gynecologist for and why did you run away like that?"

"Huh?" Cassie's mouth hung open. "I was..." She took heavy breaths. "I just wanted to do like a check-up or something," she said with a shaky voice.

The woman hesitated, maintaining the stern look on her face before proceeding. "I understand that you had sexual relations with my son." It was obvious she was not going to beat about the bush.

Cassie looked down to avoid Logan's mother's intimidating gaze. She felt her cheeks go hot.

"Are you pregnant?" She asked, causing the girl to raise her head in shock.

How could she tell? Were the words "Cassie is pregnant" written anywhere on her face?

"I'm..." Cassie paused to breathe. She didn't know if to tell her the truth or not. But she knew she needed help. "I think so..."