Chapter 11

7th June 2019
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my God! Cassie, what have you done?" Logan looked down at the seemingly lifeless Natasha with his hands over his mouth.

Cassie walked towards her, bent, and used both hands to ransack her jacket and pockets.

"What are you doing?"

"Searching for the gun."

"Oh, God!" He sighed.

Cassie got up and looked at Logan.

"Did you find anything?" He asked and she shook her head. "Do you have any idea what this looks like, Cassie?" Logan walked towards the girl lying on the floor and touched her neck and hands, searching for a pulse. He felt so much relief to get one, even small.

"I thought she was going to kill us both," Cassie defended herself.

He got up and exhaled deeply. "She has a pulse."

"Okay..."

"We have to get her to the hospital," Logan said.

Cassie walked forward. "You're not dumb enough to think we won't get into trouble if we do that."

"I'm not going to leave her to die, Cassie. What do you think I am? A monster?"

"Well... I was not suggesting that. But if you take it upon yourself to search through that photographic memory of yours, you'd recall she actually left you to die earlier."

He gulped. "Fine. We can't take her to the hospital, but we can not leave her here either."

Cassie folded her hands across her chest as she watched him grab his keys. "What are you doing?"

He bent down and began struggling to lift the unconscious woman from the floor she was lying. He picked her up with a grunt while his wife watched him and then carried her out into his car.

Cassie hurried after him, got into the passenger seat, and they drove off.

"We have to drop her off in a secluded place and then call emergency," he suggested and it sounded like a good plan. He was certain Natasha would not be stupid enough to get entangled with the police once she regained consciousness.

They drove downtown quietly, only stealing glances at each other. Both were nervous and scared of what could possibly happen if they got caught. Once they got to a road that appeared lonely enough, Logan brought the car to a halt.

He ran out quickly, opened the back seat where she lay, and dragged her out of his car. Lucky for him, she didn't have so much weight. Yet, with all the stress he'd been through, he could feel his entire body aching from sole to crown.

Logan got back into the car and stared at Cassie before driving off and stopping at a payphone that was close by.

"I'd handle it," Cassie said, noticing how exhausted Logan was.

She got out of the car and walked towards it. Her eyes were mostly fixed on the floor, to avoid any camera from getting an image. Cassie used a voice at least an octave lower than her normal voice to make the call and give them directions, before hanging up and running towards the car.

As she got into the car, she exhaled deeply. Logan placed his hands on hers and squeezed it gently.

"What a day." He sighed.

With the look on Cassie's face, he could tell she completely agreed. This would go down in history as the most memorable day of their lives.

"I want to go somewhere peaceful," Cassie said with a small smile on her face and Logan knew just what she was talking about.