Chapter 9

Chapter 9

        Standing at my locker the next day, I heard someone walk up behind me. Worried that it was Kiana with another water bottle, I started focusing on my human form. When I turned around, I saw that it was just Isaac. Breathing a sigh of relief, I turned back around. “You scared me! I thought you were Kiana back to ruin my life again,” I whisper yelled at him as he leaned against the locker next to mine.

        “Sorry. I was planning on leaving you alone today, but then I realized that I don’t have your phone number, nor do I know where you live. Which might make it a little hard finding your house tonight,” he mumbled watching people go by. I grabbed a blank sheet of notebook paper from my binder and wrote down my address and phone number before folding it up and putting it in the pocket of his button-up shirt. Seeing Kiana coming closer, I bent my head down, hiding. Isaac caught on to what was happening and grabbed my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. I glanced up at him from the corner of my eye, sending him a small smile as Kiana stopped behind me.

        “Aww, would you look at this? The loser’s got a boyfriend,” she asserted, hands on her hips. I quickly dropped Isaac’s hand as I felt my face turn red.

        “I don’t know what you’re talking about. There’s nothing going on. We’re just friends,” I insisted, shutting my locker.

        She stepped closer to me so that she was in my face, "I know you’re hiding something Pipsqueak and I’m gonna find out what it is.”

        When she walked away, I was still pressed against my locker, eyes wide from her threat. “Piper?” The sound of Isaac’s voice made me turn my head slowly towards him.

        “She . . . She’s gonna find out. She can’t,” I mumbled to him, my eyes filling with tears. He put his hands on both sides of my face, making me look up at him.

        Rubbing circles on my cheeks with his thumbs, he tried soothing me, “Piper, hey. Hey, everything is going to be fine.” I shook my head, tears escaping from my eyes. “Hey, yes, it will. Trust me. We will get it under control before she can figure anything out. Okay?” He whispered, looking me in the eyes. I nodded, seeing that he meant it. He started wiping at the tears that had fallen. We stood there for a second, not saying anything, just kind of staring at each other until Avery came running up behind me, making the both of us jump.

        She looked between the both of us before taking a hesitant step back, “Did I interrupt something?”

        We both shook our heads, and Isaac took a step towards me, leaning his head down to my ear. “I’ll see you tonight,” he murmured in my ear before giving Avery a small smile and walking away.

        As soon as he was out of ear shot, Avery started the interrogation, “Who is he? He’s so cute! How did you two meet? Are you guys dating?” I laughed at her need to know everything. “Calm down Avery. His name is Isaac. We met yesterday, and no, we’re not dating. Just good friends,” I said, listing off answers to her questions.

        “So, do you want to hang out tonight? I get done with the kids at seven, and then I’m free,” she asked as we walked to our cars. Avery worked as a surf instructor for little kids while I worked at a book store.

        I shook my head, adjusting my bag on my shoulder, “I would love to, but I have to work until closing tonight, then I’ve got some homework to do. I’m getting behind in chemistry.” The work part was true, but not the part about getting behind in chemistry.

        “Oh,” she said disappointed, “well, I’ll see you Monday?” Nodding, I got into my car and drove off towards the book store.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Ooh! Looks like there might be a little bit of a spark between Piper and Isaac!

You're probably wondering why I haven't posted anything about Kiana, but fret not, for it is coming!

Thanks for reading and voting/hearting. You guys truly are amazing!

Story line and characters are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2015.