Chapter 12: Hero Complex

Delphine has been ordered to french court, due to mine and Charles' wishes. As we are talking with her in the study, Bash storms in unannounced.

"Charles, Isabella, I have been looking for you." He says and stops as he meets the eyes of his kind-of-lover. She notices him too and stands up to greet him with us. "Delphine, What are you doing here?"

She rolls her eyes at him and sarcastically says, "It's good to see you too Bash."

I smile at her attitude.

Bash stutters, "O-of course, I uh, just wasn't expecting to see..."

I take a step towards them and announce, "We have summoned her here to return as our new court seer. We need her gifts. The Red Knights are binding amongst us, likely here at court. Delphine's touch looks into men's hearts, revealing who is friend and who is foe."

The castle is in danger and Charles and I will stop at nothing to make sure that our child is safe.

Bash looks at us both and then asks us politely, "Can I have a-a word alone with Delphine?"

Charles then grabs my hand and states, "Of course." And pulls me out of the room. But not before I give Bash a knowing smile and he rolls his eyes back at me.

As we close the door behind us, we walk hand-in-hand to our chambers.

Once we're there, we sit down together on the edge of our bed. I smile at him, "I think he is in love with her."

He smirks, "Like you are in love with me?"

I lovingly stare into his eyes and tell him, "No. Nobody has ever loved anybody as much as I love you." I say emotionally.

I can tell my words have affected him. He blinks back tears and looks at me. "Well... there's one exception."

I nod desperately and pull him to me, our lips meeting in a passionate kiss. When we part, I make sure to still keep a hold of him.

"Forever?" I ask.

"Forever."

_________________________

I get informed that Mary is leaving for Scotland. So I decide to go with her for a few days. As she says her goodbyes to Catherine, we hear a scream from outside and we all run to it.

As we step outside, we see the general's nine heads on pikes. I freeze and stare open mouthed. "Oh god, the generals."

"Guards... guards, get them down now! Remove them immediately!" I order, with authority in my voice. And all the guards obey me.

We hear horses galloping fast, so I go to the gates and see a lot of men heading for the castle. "Catherine." I call out and she and Mary both join me. "It's too late."

The men stop a few feet outside the gate and exclaim, "They've murdered our brothers, our generals!"

"Down with the Valois!"

"Murderers!"

Catherine utters, worried, "They're going to tell a every soldier in France that I am responsible for this atrocity." Mary just stands there in shock and worry.

"And if they band together, they'll destroy you." I continue.

___________________________

Mary and I are walking through the halls and Narcisse catches up to us.

"Queen Mary. Queen Isabella. As you intend to race off to Scotland, I'm curious: what will you do about Lola?"

"What do you mean?" Mary asks confused.