Chapter 8: Narcisse

It is the next day and Charles and I are in the study talking when Mary come in. "Charles. Isabella. I've been looking all over for you both. Do you have a moment?"

We look over at her and I give her a small smile, while Charles replies, "We're waiting to talk to our regent, Narcisse. How can we help you?"

"It would mean a great deal if I could keep hosting suitors here. I would make every effort to ensure France benefits from any new alliance Scotland makes." But she is interrupted as Narcisse enters the room.

"Beware of nerdy queens asking for favours, majesties." Charles nods and I glare at him.

"Excuse me, you may be chancellor and our regent now but she is still a queen. Show her some respect!" I command. Mary slightly nods her head in my direction with gratitude. And I imitate the action.

"I'm not asking for myself. Scotland is an ally of France." She sticks up for herself.

"Alliances generally benefit both countries." Narcisse bites back. Charles and I just let them argue.

"If you are talking about the costs of war..."

"Exorbitant costs, in blood and treasure, borne by France." He states while walking and tapping on the country France in the globe. "Which is what King Charles and Queen Isabella invited me here to discuss - French business. Majesties, shall we?" He looks over to us and I stay silent.

"Yes. Yes." Charles replies while looking at Mary. I don't follow them. Narcisse is using his new power that has been given to him to manipulate Charles, and I am not being apart of it. So I stay with Mary and she receives a letter from Lola.

_______________________________

Mary and I go to meet Narcisse, as he suddenly wants to speak with her.

"Stop saying you have no choice, Charles. You're the King." Claude shouts to Charles as we enter the room.

He quickly turns at her and with pity he says, "Thats right. I am the King. I'm a royal, and none of us marry for love. It was a miracle Francis loved his wife and I love mine. But that doesn't mean the rest of you will." I smile as he publicly announces that he loves me. From the conversation, I gather that Charles has ordered for Claude to be married. I do feel for her as she loves Leith.

"So that's it? I'm to be sold off like a mule, forced to live far away with some fossil I don't even know?" I can tell Claude is fuming about the situation so I leave Mary and walk over to them.

"Narcisse swears the Duke is a good man, as good as his gold, which I'm sorry to say we need very much." Charles then looks at me for backup. He looks very apologetic for what is happening. He is just trying to do what is best for France. But I know that listening to Narcisse is not the answer.

"Why are we all of a sudden listening to Narcisse. He has betrayed us far to many times. I'm surprised he's still kept his head, if I'm being honest." I announce and Claude nods at me.

Catherine doesn't seem to happy either. "Those are Narcisse's words all right. I've heard them myself." As she grabs hold of Claude's arm. But she just simply rips her arm away from her mother's grip.

"Claude, I'm sorry. I've made my decision." Claude then shrieks at him and walks away fuming. I look at Charles with a look that says, 'really?' And he just shrugs. He then looks behind me and notices that Mary is behind me. "Mary. What are you doing here?"

"I was wondering myself, Narcisse sent word, but.." she is interrupted as Narcisse walks in and says to all of us, "I wanted you all here to answer a simple question. Where is the gold that Duke Boniel paid to marry Claude?"