Chapter 19: The End

As queen, I am to attend the festivities. Luc is back, so that is awkward between him and Claude, so I promised I would stay with her.

Right now we are with Catherine, Henri and an ambassador. Catherine is trying her best to butter him up, like she does with everyone. "I do hope the reception's to your liking, Ambassador Franco."

"So tasteful." He replies. "I'd heard much tales of depravity in French court. If only we could enjoy the festivities without all this bridal business hanging over us. I do hope King Charles makes his choice soon."

"Very soon, I'm sure." I assure him.

Catherine speaks up again, "I nearly forgot to ask about your study of astronomy. Yes. Claude, too, she's a lover of stars."

Claude looks at her mother with a glare. But the ambassador excitedly turns her way and says, "Ah, the night sky. God's most magnificent creation. Wouldn't you agree, princess?"

She stutters and looks over at her husband, "Uh, apologies, Ambassador, but I promised my husband a dance." And leaves to walk over and dance with Luc.

Seeing as I am hardly needed, I go to Charles.

"Hello." I smile brightly.

He pulls me to him, kissing my head. "Hello." He replies back to me. And as I go to speak we are interrupted by Luc, who says he wants to speak to us.

"You want us to support your annulment?" Charles asks confused. "But you love Claude."

"And I've been holding onto hope that she could love me, too." He says sadly.

"I know she likes you." I say positively. "You look happy together. And feelings do change."

"Like yours did?" He questions us.

"Oh. No, not really. I've loved Charles since we were 7." Charles looks shocked at this information but smiles brightly nonetheless.

"So if only it were that simple. She can't let me into her heart because her heart still belongs to Leith. As much as I want to be with her, I won't stand in her way. Claude should be with the man she loves." Luc tells us.

I smile at his maturity. Charles has a smile on his face and says, "Of course. You're so right."

Luc then leaves. Charles turns back to me with a grin, "So you loved me since we were 7?"

"Oh, shut up."

__________________________

Charles and I are in the throne room again, as apparently Lord Narcisse wanted to speak to us. Me more specifically. I haven't seen him in a while. I know he still grieves over the loss of Lola. So I made a promise to myself to avenge Lola when the time is right.

He enters the room.

"Lord Narcisse. It could take some time until John Knox is brought to justice, but I promise you, I will not give up until Lola is avenged. And I've made Charles promise me that too." And my husband nods at him.

"I wanted to give you a gift." He passes a box to me. "You are still free to take your legal steps against John Knox, but I have taken what he valued the most, the thing that made him a man."

I grow confused and I stand up to look at what is inside it. Charles is over my shoulder as well. I open it and I gasp, sitting back down before I throw up. I see Charles' face conjure into disgust before I look back at Narcisse.

"Is that his- -"

"- Yes." He replies.

"Is he d-" Charles goes to ask.