Chapter 18: Brothers

I managed to get a few hours of sleep. Only a few though as my mind kept replaying the kiss between Charles and I. When I wake up, I groan at the sunlight but decide that it is time to get up.

I make my way to the study where most people are. And I immediately lock eyes with Charles. Before I quickly avert my eyes elsewhere.

"I have deemed that immediate military action is required to quash the Protestant insurgents in Vendome, and save innocent lives." Charles begins. "France will not tolerate such a blatant and aggressive defiance of the Crown and its laws." He finishes, looking at me with a smile but then moves his eyes to Nicole instead.

"Very wise, Your Majesty." The men agree and bow. Then they take their leave.

_____________________________

I'm on the throne next to Charles as he mindlessly talks to Nicole. I try to convince myself that I'm not jealous, it's not working.

"Your Majesties." Narcisse gains our attention. "It has just been confirmed- the attack on the rebels has been executed."

"And the hostages?" I question.

"Thanks to Charles' quick action, they are saved."

I smile at my husband.

"But at what cost? How many gallant soldiers did I send to their deaths?" He says sadly.

"Charles." I address him. His head shoots over to me. "Come with me."

I take his hand in mine and pull him outside into the gardens. There are many people clapping for him and Charles looks ecstatic. I giggle at his expression.

Charles looks toward a baby, "is that..."

"My son." The man says back to him.

"What's his name?"

"Charles." He smiles. "Named after the king who saved his life." I look at him and give him an 'I told you so' expression and he nudges me in the side. I then grab onto the child's hand and smile at the young one.

When Charles and I return to the throne room, I see a blonde boy. A bit younger that Charles and myself. I feel Charles stiffen beside me.

"Um... hello. I don't believe we've met." I address him. He looks at me with a smile.

"Henri de Valois." He introduces himself, taking my hand and kisses it. My eyes widen and I turn to Charles and he nods his head at me, confirming that he is his brother.

"So you're Henri. It's very nice to meet you officially." I say politely. And he smiles flirtatiously.

Oh no.

"Brother? What are you doing here?" Charles asks him, trying not to snap. I grab onto his hand.

"I just came to visit."

"Well I have some matters to attend to but I will speak with you later." I tell the boys. As I feel Henri continue to stare at me, I grow annoyed and pull Charles into a quick kiss to show that I am not interested.

And I then take my leave.

_____________________________

Loud music. That's all I hear from my chambers. I want to see why, so I enter the throne room the same time Charles and Nicole does. Well this is awkward.

"Do you know what this is about?"

"No. I think it's something to do with my brother." Charles replies.

I nod and we all spot Henri speaking with Claude and Luc in the sitting area, surrounded by people dancing. We go to them.

Claude is the first to notice us, "Isabella! Charles! Nicole! I was wondering where you were."