Chapter 7: Aftermath

It's a new day. Charles is still not back yet and I miss him terribly. I'm still anxious about the Don Carlos situation and I desperately need him to comfort me. I sigh and decide to go to Catherine and Mary, to get updates on the Prince of Spain. Once I'm there, I see Catherine is in panic mode once again.

"Don Carlos is going to survive. I mean he's still unconscious, but the physician said that the worst has passed." Catherine rushes out.

Mary breathes out, "it's a miracle."

"And our downfall. When he wakes and discovers that his sexual practices are no longer a secret, he is going to do everything he can to ensure that his father doesn't brand him a deviant and disown him. He's going to tell a different story. One where all of this was our doing." I state with an annoyed expression. I hate that this is going on, I was hardly a part of this and now I'm probably going to die.

Mary continues, "And the Duke of Alba is going to want to save his skin, as well. He will say anything the Prince of Spain tells him to."

"There's But one solution." Catherine says. "We kill Don Carlos ourselves."

I cry out, "Catherine, are you out of your mind?! No definitely not!"

"He was kind and honest to me and he doesn't deserve to die. I will be there when he wakes up. I will tell him that I felt nervous about our first try and intimacy and I brought you both as moral support. I will make it clear to him that I never wanted him to feel betrayed or humiliated." The Queen of Scots says surely.

Catherine just shakes her head, "That is not a strategy."

"No. It's the truth. And it's the only way we might gain his forgiveness."

________________________________

I don't know f our plan is going to work. But we go to Don Carlos' bedside.

"What are you doing?" I ask Catherine.

"Well if Mary's plan doesn't work, I want to shove this cloth down his throat." As she answers I look at her outraged.

"Catherine, unhand That rag." I order. And as queen of France, she must listen to me. However, I can't make any huge orders as the coronation has not happened yet.

We all start to hear groans coming from the Prince. We all quickly look at each other and Catherine puts the rag behind her back. This could either go two ways. He could either listen to us and forgive us. Or order people to kill us.

Mary rushes to his side. "He's waking up." The Prince then looks at her. "Don Carlos?"

"What happened?" With an odd voice. His lip seems to be moving weirdly. He's definitely suffered a head injury.

"You've suffered an accident." She explains. "Do you remember how you got here or how you hurt yourself?"

"I remember... Mary."

Catherine decides to interject, "What about her Don Carlos?"

"Mary... pretty. Pretty Mary."

Yes, he has definitely suffered an injury.

I whisper to Mary who is beside me, "If he's paying you a compliment, he can't possibly remember what happened last night. Don Carlos, Do you remember Mary coming into your chambers last night? What you asked her to do?"

He shakes his head, "You are so... pretty, Mary." Oh Jesus Christ.

Catherine then mutters to us, "He's been tendered an idiot."

"He can't follow the conversation. The fall - the damage to his brain is too much. He's been impaired." Mary replies while taking his hand.

I sigh in relief, "For our sake, let's hope it's permanent." Don't get me wrong, I do not wish for anyone to suffer. But I want to at least live and keep my head.