Chapter 3: Moving In

I woke up from an aggressive shake from my Dad. 

"We're here!" Ma said. "Come on, grab your bags and let's go see the home." 

We all got out of the car and got our first good look at the house. It was not like the other house. It was smaller than I was used to and didn't look like our other house at all. The home was located right near the woods. I mean, if Ma and father needed to pick a new house, why this one? It was located near the woods and we were nowhere near any other homes. 

When we got home, I began to unpack my bags and settle in. Lucas walked into my room. 

"Ma said I have to help you unpack."

 He sat next to me and began to sort my clothes. 

"Do you know why we had to move here? I miss the old house. It was bigger and better than this one," I asked Lucas.

 "Well, Dad lost his job a few weeks ago. Luckily he found a new job quickly, but the job didn't pay as much as the other one. He can't keep up with the bills from the other house, so we have to move into a smaller one and not-so-pretty one," Lucas responded. 

"Why couldn't he just, get a better job?" I asked. 

"Scarlet, that's not how it works," Lucas replied, annoyed by me. 

We didn't really do much talking after that, we just unpacked, until we heard a loud thud..