Chapter 14: A Life Sacrifice

"Scarlet, right? You left your pencil on my desk."

I sighed with relief, thankful it wasn't Rosenna nor Noah.

______________________________________________

It been a few weeks since I've talked to Noah. Not gonna lie, I feel pretty accomplished. But I shouldn't feel accomplished, because I was so scared of talking to him that I skipped school for about 3 weeks. I did this by leaving the house when Lucas and my parents did, but when they thought I was at school, I returned home. No one really pays attention to me anyway, so it was destined to work for me. Soon I was on my way to being curse-free (or at least unbothered.) 

Or so I thought.

No matter what I did, Rosenna always found a way to bother me.

In the kitchen, she was there. In the bedroom, she was there. And even in the darn bathroom! (As you can tell, I have no privacy AT ALL.)

One day, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was sick of it.

I put on my jacket to go on a journey.

I was going to the shack.

This time, though, I was feeling much bolder as I walked through the woods, worry-free. All I needed to do was find out how I could get rid of her to finally live my life.

That was a lie.

I sprinted through the woods in fear of being potentially KILLED by a bear once again. When I got to the shack, I was out of breath.

But something felt unusual about the shack.

I turned around, expecting to see Rosenna behind me, as usual.

But instead, I saw tons of dead bodies.

I heard a voice.

"These, you see, are the dead bodies of all who have been haunted by the vengeful ghosts."

They didn't see me, so I hid behind a bush to see who was there.

It was Noah.

"I think she's been killed by Rosenna," he panicked. "It's all my fault. If I would have believed her when she told me about her doing all these horrible things, this wouldn't have happened."

The lady responded. "Surely, it is your fault."

Noah looked at the lady, giving her a "that didn't help at all" face.

Soon, tears started swelling up in her eyes.

I realized that all the time I was gone, Noah was busy with a plan to help me, even if I was "dead." I couldn't help but feel guilty. But I was also surprised that he was the first one to notice that I had been gone all that time.

He may have assumed that I hated him after I began ignoring him, but that didn't stop him from helping me.

"But even if she is dead, can't you still help me?" Noah asked. "I can get rid of her so at least Scarlet can rest in peace."

I really wanted to come up from the bush and tell Noah I was alive, but I figured it would be strange since he hadn't seen me in like, forever.

"If you really want to get rid of her," the lady began, "You will have to sacrifice your life for it."

Noah looked at her, shocked. But soon his shocked face turned into a sad-but-determined one.

"I will do it."