Chapter 10: Trouble

I took a seat next to Meridith. 

No one said a word; it was quiet. That is until the principal spoke to me. 

"Scarlet, it is your first day," he told me.

"Well yeah," I responded.

The principal continued, "And you've already got sent to the principal's office."

He took a deep breath.

I sat there confused. I didn't do anything. 

"I'm going to call your parents about this matter," he stated.

"But, what did I do?" I asked him, in confusion.

"What did you do?" He raised his voice. "Well, you vandalized part of the cafeteria!"

"Wait, what?" I asked.

I shot a look at Meridith. 

"Don't play dumb," the principal grunted. "You know what you did."

"Go into the closet over there. Get all the materials you need to clean the mess up," he demanded.

I got up silently from my seat and went towards the closet. I was so confused. I did not see any mess where I was in the cafeteria.

I grabbed the materials I thought I needed and walked towards the cafeteria.

When I walked in, it was silent. No one said a word.

I looked towards my table to see the "mess" that I made. 

That's when I saw her.

She aggressively drew on the table with a marker. She ripped paper towels everywhere and my lunch was all over the floor.

I didn't want to do it, because I knew this would make me seem like a weirdo. But, I couldn't hold it in any longer.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled at her.

She looked at me and laughed.

"Just having fun," she grinned, "Wanna join me?"

"Heck, no! You're ruining everything for me!" I continued yelling. "Great, now it's my first day and I seem like a person who vandalized and weirdo because of you."

I walked towards her and attempted to grab the markers out of her hand. But when I tried to grab them, it was just as if I was grabbing the air. 

She stared at me with an angry look. 

I couldn't believe I was fighting with a ghost.

I felt a whoosh of air pass by. Somehow, I fell.

I burst into tears but quickly stopped.

I really didn't want my first impression to be this.

I got up despite my hurt. I grabbed my cleaning supplies while everyone in the cafeteria looked at me. I aggressively scrubbed the marker off the table and picked up all the trash made on the floor. 

I looked towards her, but then she disappeared.

I took a deep breath and continued cleaning.

I heard my name on the intercom once again.

I finished cleaning up quickly.

Before leaving, I took a look at Noah. He looked at me with sad eyes. If I were watching myself, I would feel bad for myself too.

I turned back around and began walking back to the principal's office.

When I walked in, my parents were in there. They looked at me angrily. 

That's when I remembered about Ms. Garcia. 

"Scarlet, go get your things," Ma told me.

This was my chance.

I walked quickly to Ms. Garcia's room. I knocked on the door.

"Come in," she said.

I walked into the room.

"Oh hey, Scarlet," she welcomed. "Do you need anything?"

I looked at her with sad eyes and walked towards my desk.

"Well, yea," I responded. "I need to talk to you."

"Great, what's up?"

"But I also don't have much time left," I added.

"That's okay."

"Do you believe in ghosts?" I asked her.

"If it has a name then I believe it is real," she told. "But I also believe it's good to let the dead rest."

"Well, okay," I sighed.

"What do you do if a ghost is trying to ruin your life?" I asked quietly.

"Oh, Scarlet," she sighed.

Ms. Garcia whispered to me, "Tomorrow morning, before the Math class starts, I want you to come to the room. There are a few minutes left for lunch, so I think it's better if we talk tomorrow."

"I understand," I sighed and got up from my desk.

"Have a great day!" Ms. Garcia exclaimed.

But I didn't answer. 

After I got out of her room, I went towards my locker and grabbed my bag.

The car ride was silent, once again.

_________At Home__________

I quickly ran up to my room to avoid the lectures my parents were about to give me.

I grabbed my sewing kit and began making a sweater, a very special sweater to give to a special someone.

I felt relaxed after beginning to sew.

After a few hours, I heard the doorbell ring.

I slid on my shoes and opened the door.

It was Noah.

"Hey," he told me. "Can we talk?"

"Sure," I smiled. I knew that I needed someone to talk to after all that has happened.

We walked towards the woods, again.

"What happened at the cafeteria today? I know you don't act like that," he asked.

"Yea, I'm so sorry about that," I responded. "I was just normally eating my lunch, and then the girl comes back again. She told me she was going to do something to me again. She ended up drawing and making a mess all over the table I was sitting at. She blamed me-"

Noah stopped me.

"Are you seriously blaming a ghost for what you did?" He accused.

"What?" I yelled.

"There is no need to lie," he continued. "If she really did something, we all would've seen her."

I stared at him, and my eyes started to tear up.

I felt betrayed.