Chapter 7: Anger

When I woke up, I was laying in my bed. When I looked outside the window, it was pitch black. I wondered where Noah went, and if he went home. I grabbed a Bible laying around. It was one of the only books in my sight. I began to read it.

After a while of reading, I heard a noise outside my bedroom. It was the sound of someone yelling. I checked the time on my tablet: 4 AM. I wondered why someone would be yelling at this time. I got up from my bed to go see, and then I remembered--- Lucas usually plays video games late at night, so maybe the yelling might be him overreacting. I opened my bedroom door slowly and walked towards Lucas' room. 

"Come on, dude, you're gonna make us loose!" Lucas yelled.

I wondered who he was talking to, especially since he was playing in the dark. Then I heard a familiar voice.

"Watch out!" the person yelled, "They're coming towards us!"

That's when I knew it was Noah. I opened the door and turned on the light.

"Ugh, what do you want Scarlet," Lucas grumbled.

"Why are you still here, Noah? I thought you were supposed to leave." I asked him.

"Sorry, I wasn't able to tell you because you know, you passed out." He responded. "My parents called and wondered why I was still here. If it didn't become dark quickly when we went there, I would probably be gone by now."

I knew why Noah didn't mention why we went to the shack. If my brother found out, we would be in trouble.

"Your parents said it was not safe for me to bike back home in the dark, so they confirmed with my parents to let me stay for the night and leave in the morning," Noah continued.

"Makes sense," I responded.

I stood there for a while, watching them play. 

I saw them whisper something to each other. That's when Noah looked at me and asked,

"Do you want to play some games with us?"

"Sure," I grinned and took a seat next to Noah. 

Lucas handed me a controller and we played.

We continued to play for hours. I was not used to being up at this time. 

After I came into the room, Lucas wasn't acting like himself. He became grumpy, but I didn't think anything of it. All I thought was that he was tired because he was playing so late.

I felt too tired to continue to play. All I remember after that was putting my head on Noah's shoulder and falling asleep.

__________________

When I woke up, it was about 11:15. I was back in my own bed. I walked downstairs and Noah's parents were there to pick him up.

"Thanks for letting him stay here for the night, I really appreciate it," his mother said.

"No problem!" Ma replied. She looked at me with a huge grin on her face and said, "I'm sure Scarlet and Noah had a great time."

His parents laughed.

"We'll see you around," his father said.

Then they were out the door. 

I looked at Lucas. He had a face of anger and sadness in his face. I waited until he went up the stairs, and then followed him.

"Hey, what's wrong Lucas?" I asked him. 

He ignored me.

"Please, Lucas. What's wrong?" I asked him once more. "You haven't been acting like yourself."

He began to walk quicker. So did I, trying to catch up with him.

I continued to follow him.

"No one wants you here," he told me. "You ruin everything, just leave me alone!" 

He shut the door in my face.