Chapter Five

So I didn't stay after that.

The nice waiter, didn't make me pay for the food, but I couldn't take it away, as it was protocol.

When I get back to the building and up the stairs, I fumble through my purse for my keys.

"Fuck," I mutter.

I left them inside.

I timidly knock on the door, in hopes that Bear was home.

He wasn't.

I slump against the door and slide down to the floor, just starting to cry.

Everything that's happened to me in the last few months, just all came out, as I sat alone in the hallway and cried.

I don't know how long I was there, but suddenly someone sat beside me.

I look over and see Bear.

"What happened?" He ask softly, with a twinge of anger.

"He ditched me," I murmur. "Before the food arrived."

Bear's fist clenches and he takes a calming breath. "Did you wanna go inside and talk about it?" He asks, but I could see his shoulders tense.

"Can I just talk and you listen?" I murmur.

He nods and stands up, offering me his hand. I take it and he pulls me up. I blush as I feel our bodies close and quickly take a step back. Bear unlocks the door and I stop at the kitchen counter, where I watch him go through the freezer.

I couldn't help the smile that forms on my face as he pulls out ice cream and grabs two spoons. "Have you helped a girl through a bad day before?" I tease.

"My brother," he grumbles.

"You have a brother!?" I gasp, following him into the lounge room.

I fall flat on my ass as he chucks a blanket at me.

I take it off my face and glare at him. I couldn't hold it though, cause for the first time I saw Bear smile.

Bear smiled.

I get up and sit on the couch, wrapping myself in the blanket. He turns on the tv and hands me the remote. "Movie," he says.

I pick Love actually and Bear hands me a bowl of ice cream and then waves his hand, indicating me to talk. "I thought Adrian was different," I say. Bear hums. "I guess I just don't attract good men."

He raises an eyebrow at me.

I sigh. "You know how before I was staying downstairs with my friend Liv?" He nods. "Before that I lived with my then boyfriend Jason. We had been together for three years and had just moved in together. I then found out that he was cheating on me," I say. I struggle to get the next part out. "With my mum."

Bears eyes widen. "I'm sorry," he says, awkwardly.

I shrug. "Not your fault, I'm actually very thankful you came into my life Bear," I murmur. "Though, to be honest your a total fucking stranger, and you never talk to me."

He grunts. "Mitchell."

I scoff. "Who the fuck is Mitchell?"

He rolls his eyes. "My real name is Mitchell."

I bite my bottom lip smiling. "Really?"

"No," he says. "Just thought it would make you feel better."

"I cant tell if your kidding," I mutter.

He rolls his eyes. "My name is Mitchell Bear Roberts."

"Mitchell Bear Roberts," I say slowly, testing it on my tongue. "Can I call you Mitch?"

"Absolutely not," he answers.

"Mitchell?"

"Bear," he growls.

"Okay, bear," I murmur.

It's quiet for a few seconds. "You can call me Mitch," he says. "But only when we are in the apartment."

I laugh. "When do I see you out of it!?"

"Just giving you the rules, Danny," he says, his tone teasing as he says my nickname.

I smile and just start watching him, as he eats his ice cream and watches the movie.

Adrian who?

*
When I wake up, I find myself still on the couch. I then scream when I see Bear sitting on one of the kitchen stools, staring at me. "Fuck sake Bear," I snap.

He smirks and takes a sip of his coffee.

I don't think I want him being this nice to me anymore.

"Sleep well?" He asks.

"I did actually," I answer. "Thanks for last night, I really do owe you big time."

He nods. "Are you staying home today?"

"Sadly no," I mutter. "I have work."

He grunts. "What do you do?"

"Liv gets me work at her mums cherry farm shop sometimes," I answer.

"Nice," he grumbles.

"So what's your brother like?" I ask, standing up and walking into the kitchen making myself a cup of coffee. "Single?"

"Gay," he says.

"Now I have to meet him," I say. "I bet he's the total opposite of you."

He nods. "Yep."

"Any other brothers?? I tease.

"Yes," he answers. "My older brother. Married and a kid."

"Damn," I say jokingly. I punch his shoulder. "Guess I'm stuck with you Mitch."

I jump as someone knocks loudly on our door. I open it and find Stacey. "Dude, what happened on your date?" She pants.

I let her in and she makes herself comfortable on the couch. "He ditched me with our meals and the bill," I state.

"Well apparently early this morning, he got bashed," Stacey says.

"That's a coincidence," I laugh.

"I'm going," Bear mutters. I flinch as he punches my shoulder, while he leaves. "Payback."

"See y'a Bear," I say, smiling at him.

He leaves the apartment and Stacey squeals. "Danny you totally have it bad for Bear."

"Nah shit," I mutter, slumping onto a stool. "I don't even know if he's interested cause he has a resting bitch face."

"He's totally interested," Stacey says. "Make a move."

"I can't," I say. "We live together."

"Don't be a little bitch," Stacey says. "You have to take some risks in your life."