Mental Health

Mental health is a serious issue. Not just in kpop and Korea, but around the world as well :/

But unfortunately there's a stigma about mental health. You have adults and society telling you to "get over your problems" as if it's that easy. To "let it go" or worse "stop acting out for attention" and insisting you're fine even though you know something is wrong.

Mental health is a real thing that should be acknowledged on more. It's why artists make songs about loving yourself and such. To spread awareness.

The reason why I put mental health in this kpop book is because the truth is that mental health isn't spoken about in Korea much. There's stigma everywhere about mental health, but it's most prevalent in Korea. I'm not generalizing the whole nation. I'm sure some people know the severity of mental health there... but it's the truth that the most suicide rates are in Korea. Many knetsinz especially think mental health is just a hoax... again, something that an idol needs to just "get over."

When Yeri was crying about Jonghyun's death, she got trashed by Knetsinz calling her out for literally showing emotion??

Now what does this show?

This shows that many k-fans (knetsinz), just want their idols to hide their problems and keep their emotions to themselves...

Do you not know how detrimental it is to keep those feelings inside?

You know what that leads to? Suicide... because you're making these REAL people. Feel like crap for feeling the way they do... for being human. Putting pressure on them to be all put together and perfect.

This is a problem.

Mental health is serious. But it's especially grave in kpop because unlike the West, Korea doesn't normalize mental health and talking about it.

Please remember your idols are human...

Now... I am glad that some companies care about mental health. Companies like JYPE and Bighit have a therapist for their idols to see if they need to because they KNOW that mental health is a real thing. They aren't ignorant to the suicides in Korea and the amount of idols struggling because of the insane pressure they are under.

I would hope all companies were like this but unfortunately some companies say they support mental health but kind of... don't??

For instance, JYPE does have a therapist yes... JYP himself has been made a speech about the importance of mental health. Yet... Twice members have been in hiatus lately every comeback because of mental health issues. In Fancy era it was Mina. (Now I don't blame JYPE for this since they did handle it right; gave her time which is really all they can do). But then in CSM Jongyeong was revealed to be having stress related panic attacks?? Come on... Those kinds of things can be AIDED with if JYPE didn't overwork them...

Twice literally had M&M in the summer with their mini album. Then a few months later CSM and ANOTHER album. (Also worth noting they were most likely practicing for CSM a month or two after M&M), and then a little later did a Japanese single track Better with two extra Japanese songs -.- and now Cry For Me??

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Twice concept but... give them a break!!! Now it's obvious they are overworked... ITZY as well looked pretty tired during their KBS performance... they are most likely preparing for a comeback but JYPE should still take it easy on their groups...

I just feel like now in most groups I stan now... there's members that aren't present because of mental health... and I just feel like some companies aren' handling it right. Yes, they are giving these idols time but... why couldn't they do this before it became a problem? If JYPE gave Twice some more time after M&M to relax, maybe we would have had an ot9 comeback with Jongyeong (she is back now tho so yay!!!).

Companies say they are for mental health but sometimes their actions say otherwise. Like I said, take care of a problem before it is one!

Some other groups I stan whose members have been in hiatus:
Ateez: Mingi is now confirmed to not participating in the next comeback due to anxiety. He is currently going to therapy.
Loona: Haeseul didn't participate in ## Album (So What), or 12:00 (Why Not) album due to anxiety
Day6: Idk which ones but I do know some members struggle with anxiety that they have even spoke openly about. If I'm not mistaken... one of them even revealed the therapist of JYP wasn't very helpful.

Now what does THIS show? Again. Mental health is real. Idols struggle just as much as we all do yet their issues are often dismissed and not taken care of until too late. And when they are taken care of, you have people crapping on them and acting like they are faking.

Companies... give idols break. They aren't just some hamsters you force to keep running on a wheel until they drop down to give a break... they aren't just your money making machines. They are human. They deserve to relax after comebacks because it ain't easy.

Everyone else? Normalize mental health. It's an issue. Why do you think some groups do Love Yourself concepts? Why do you think BTS's LY concept especially blew up. Because it's not something talked about a lot... and it should be.  It shouldn't be a topic we pretend doesn't exist or "tip toe" around.

Why?

Because

Mental

Health

Is

Real

!

I said that many times in this chapter and I'll continue to say so.

***
Also off topic tbh every group I stan (except ITZY, Everglow, Blackpink), have had/have currently a member not there for a comeback 😂

(Not just mental health reasons tho)

Res Velvet? When I got into them Wendy ain't there because of her accident. (Ot5 comeback confirmed tho 🙏)

Gfriend? When I got into them Eunha wasn't around because of an cornea infection (first of all ouch-) . She's back tho.

BTS? Now Suga is taking a hiatus because of his shoulder surgery (tho I'm super happy that he's finally getting that fixed of course!!)

Dreamcatcher: When I got into than Handong wasn't there because she was on a show (Youth With You), plus COVID also kept her from coming back because I think taping was out of Korea. She's back now tho and slaying!!

I'm pretty sure all groups I mentioned just now tho are back and together. But I still find it funny, and kind of some bad luck ngl-, that I got into them when someone was missing 🤦‍♀️ I told y'all I want to appreciate all members. So it was sad to me that some members were unable to be around.

AND PLSSS I'm glad Mingi is getting therapy but I'm ngl I'm sad too that I just got into Ateez and he's not gonna be there 😔 though I hear we will hear him on the album! So that's good 😌

Anyways that's all ✌️