Chapter 4 - Coming of Age

As the sun was setting on the twins' birthday, decorations of lights, banners, flowers, and confetti littered their house. The house smelled amazing with all the different foods that had just been set out. Standing in a sharp gunmetal gray suite with a green tie and matching kerchief, Twyn stood talking with a few of their friends that came to celebrate. He had forgone the alcohol and was drinking juice, fearful for such an angry monster to ever surface again, especially as his heart still ached from his rejection.

Shej looked around and not seeing Leena anywhere, realized she must have still been getting ready. He walked down the hallway to her bedroom, fixing his tie before knocking on her door, making sure his attire was worthy for celebrating his fiancé's 19th birthday. Fiancé, he chuckled at the word.

"Who is it?"

"It's me. May I come in?"

The lock clicked and the door cracked open. After a few seconds, he pushed the door open and entered, closing it behind him. He looked across the room and his jaw dropped at the redhead standing in front of a mirror, pinning a soft ringlet of hair behind her ear. She wore a sparkling emerald green dress that accentuated her eyes. It was floor length with a slit that came up to her thigh and a back draped so low it was just begging to show off more. It hugged her every curve and a full-grown woman-like version of Leena stood where a casual, everyday teenager should have been. He was speechless.

"I'm sorry I've taken so long. I'm almost finished."

"You look...amazing."

She smiled. "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself. That shirt suites you, red really is your color." She stared at him in the reflection of the mirror after dangling an earring from her ear. Shej hadn't moved. "Are you just going to stand there?"

"I...oh. Sorry, I was just admiring your beauty. Frozen in it, I guess." He slowly walked over to her and stood right behind her, smiling at her over her shoulder. He made a soft noise as she reached back and took his hands, pulling them around her middle tightly, leaning her body back against his. His head was suddenly filled with mixed emotions.

"Shej?" she said quietly, noticing the smile drop and his internal fight with himself showing on his face.

"I don't know."

"Look at me. At us."

As he looked up into the mirror again, she was smiling at him.

"I am yours, Shej. For freedom if that's all you desire. But when the world looks upon us, I am yours, for everything." She turned around in his arms, still holding herself against him and leaning her head on his shoulder, her brows furrowed briefly in the awkwardness, in the newness of being truly intimate with anyone.

"How do we prove for love, Leena?" he whispered. "You know I can't give you what you need, all those things others could."

"Anything I need, you would make sure I had it, right? You said it yourself." She put a hand on his cheek. "I just need you. I always have."

Shej realized she had a point and sighed softly, hugging her close, blushing slightly as his hands rested on her bare back. He looked down at her. "Anything for you."

"Good. Now let's go out and enjoy the rest of this night like you and I didn't almost die this month, hmm?"

He laughed. "Sure." He turned toward the door, one hand still on her lower back. He paused as Leena stopped just a few feet short from the door. "What's up?"

"I was also thinking," she spoke quietly, "that maybe we can take our vows without a big ceremony, no big planning or a lot of people."

"You don't want to wait," he noticed.